Skip to main content

Sun Microsystems CPU!

More
20 years 5 months ago #1570 by tfs
Replied by tfs on topic Re: Sun Microsystems CPU!
You think that is amazing. What about the Eniac?

This whole room is one computer.

Here is a part of the room:

Here is one of the panels from the previous picture:

Now that is COOOOOOL !!!

Thanks,

Tom
More
20 years 5 months ago #1591 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Re: Sun Microsystems CPU!
Now that's impressive!!!!!!!!

Was that a Pentium CPU I saw in one of the panels ? :roll:

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
20 years 5 months ago #1601 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: Sun Microsystems CPU!
Btw Chris if you look carefully you can see Tom kneeling beside some of the equipment in picture number 2. Lol

Did you know that when they switched it on recently the lights in the whole city dimmed or something ?

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 5 months ago #1604 by tfs
Replied by tfs on topic Re: Sun Microsystems CPU!
Actually, thats my son. :lol:

Thanks,

Tom
More
18 years 11 months ago #8354 by Lour
Replied by Lour on topic Re: Sun Microsystems CPU!
Wow... I feel so young around you folks. My parents bought our first computer... It was a Gateway pre-crapped in thing. It broke down about 3 years ago and I swapped it out with a friends which ran Win98 instead of Win95 and my parents could hardly handle the change... which is the only thing keeping them from stealing my custom built in '98 500Mhz PII running XP. They can't handle the change. Doesn't keep them from shouting at me to fix it whenever they accidently hide their menu bar, though.

I never know where I'm going until I get there.
More
18 years 11 months ago #8366 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Old Stuff
Back in the days when I was young and wet behind the ears, I went on a tour to the Ferranti factory in Moston, Oldham (Manchester UK). They had a little museum there with one of the real and original Crookes tubes in. Apparently they used to use Cathode Ray tubes as computer memory devices!
Years later I actually worked for a while at Ferranti Computer Systems. The typical system filled a 19-inch rack and the external Winchester disk drives were each the size of an automatic washing machine (making nearly as much noise too) and held 470Mb each
And how excited I was when I got a twin floppy PC! Imagine - no more having to swap the OS disk in and out of the single floppy drive, I could just put it into Drive A: and save my data onto the disk in Drive B:!! It was an 8086 machine with 256K or RAM and ran MSDOS 3
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds