Skip to main content

Sun Microsystems CPU!

More
20 years 6 months ago #1467 by Chris
Sun Microsystems CPU! was created by Chris
For those who simply love to stare at computer hardware, here’s a treat for you!

What you’re looking at is a 500 Mhz CPU that’s come out of a Dual CPU Sun Microsystems Enterprise Server 220e.

This CPU apparently decided to turn its self faulty, permanently retiring and finding its way to my room :)

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
20 years 6 months ago #1480 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: Sun Microsystems CPU!
Now THATS what you call a heat sink ! Not those wimpy little things they stick in desktops :)

Remind me to take a picture of my original Soundblaster 16 ISA card.. its MASSIVE.

What else do we glean from this picture ? Chris is reading a good book. Is it from Cisco Press ?

he's also got a sweet little 2600 series router hiding back there.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 6 months ago #1488 by tfs
Replied by tfs on topic Re: Sun Microsystems CPU!
I'll have to go find my 16 K memory card (using core memory) for a data general. The whole board is about 14 inches high.

We have come a long way.

Thanks,

Tom
More
20 years 6 months ago #1494 by sahirh
My first machine was a 286 with 640k RAM and a 360kb floppy drive, no hard disk. I had to boot with the command.com disk, and then pop in the disk of whichever program I wanted to run.

Hell that was a beast of a machine for the time :)
It was on that machine that I learned that formatting your floppy
disks did bad things to the games on them... hey what can I say.. I used to run anything with an .exe or .com extension.. I still do :)

Btw, anyone ever used punch cards ? Just kidding

Sahir Hidayatullah.
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 6 months ago #1501 by tfs
Replied by tfs on topic Re: Sun Microsystems CPU!
Here I go again, showing my age.

Of course I used punch cards, didn't everybody. You don't know what you are missing until you have punched a program 500 cards long (don't have some numbering on the cards) and you drop them.

Now that is a excedrin headache number 1. :cry:

My first computer was an Apple II Plus with a language card (nother more than a 16 K card to load the compiler into). Best at the time. Had a wopping 64 K machine at that point. Still have it packaged up in my attic. Can't get rid of the first one.

Thanks,

Tom
More
20 years 6 months ago #1516 by sahirh
Wow Tom ! So when did you first use a computer ? hehe

Sahir Hidayatullah.
tftfotw.blogspot.com
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds