Skip to main content

Remote Desktop with VPN

More
13 years 5 months ago #35762 by SteveP
Replied by SteveP on topic Re: Remote Desktop with VPN
Hi Arani

It seems a little strange because 137.221.74.153 is a public IP address. I expected it to have a class A (10......), class B (172.16-19.....) or class C (192.168....) private local address on it's LAN. I don't know if it's behind an ADSL (or other) router which does the appropriate port forwarding to the server IP address on the LAN. If the private address is 137.221.74.153, I doubt I can help further.

I know it's a well-recognised problem if connecting from say, a private address on the 192.168.1.0/24 network at one end of the VPN to another private address on the 192.168.1.0/24 network at the other end. That's why I was interested to know what the private IP addresses (and SNMs) were of the hosts at each end of the VPN.
More
13 years 5 months ago #35765 by Chojin
Replied by Chojin on topic Re: Remote Desktop with VPN
Havent read the replies indepth, but probably your routing will change on the VPN-en server.

Depending on the VPN you are opening, it is probably an SSL-type of VPN where you get assigned a new address. When this happens, probably the default route will go over the VPN-ed address.

When you staticly assign a route towards your machine (client-remote desktop) you will keep connection because you have a /32 route added towards your routing table.
When you don't have this, the RDP session will be routed over the VPN resulting in a loss of connection.

CCNA / CCNP / CCNA - Security / CCIP / Prince2 / Checkpoint CCSA
More
13 years 5 months ago #35771 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic ...
Hi Chojin

Your reply sound so promising. First thing tomorrow morning I'll do is to add a static route to my PC, and then connect via remote desktop to check if I lose the connection on turning the VPN on.

Thanks in advance.

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
More
13 years 5 months ago #35772 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic No Joy
Hi Chojin

Tried the static route method. No joy, as I still lose the RDP session on turning the VPN on.

I tried some troubleshooting, by trying to ping into the 137.221.74.0 network after putting in the static route and turning the VPN on. No joy as I cannot ping at all.

Any leads?

More
13 years 4 months ago #35800 by Nazish
Replied by Nazish on topic how to do
Please check with Cisco VPN client setting as Allow Local LAN & check that check box. it will allow your Server to access all LAN based IP.
More
13 years 4 months ago #35806 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic ...
Where would I find that setting?

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds