Skip to main content

Remote Desktop with VPN

More
13 years 4 months ago #35809 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic VPN settings
Hi mate,

Found that setting under CISCO vpn settings for that particular vpn connection entry. Enabled that option, and still I can't remote desktop to that machine once the VPN is up and running.

Any leads?

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
More
13 years 3 months ago #36012 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic No Joy
Ok guys

I installed a second network card on the to machine. Gave it a static IP address which would put it inside our local network. I still can't remote desktop to the machine when the VPN is running.

More
13 years 2 months ago #36110 by Bublitz
Replied by Bublitz on topic Re: Remote Desktop with VPN
I would ditch vpn to access remote desktop altogether. If you setup RDS properly you can almost get rid of vpns(nice to keep for backup).

You can use RDS with RD Web Access AND rds gateway. This allows for secure outside access.

You will have ssl encryption and the rds gateway service is used in conjunction with Microsoft's NAP.

Our users love it because its so easy to work on stuff from home and our office users use the same interface while in work. So all computers don't even have office or any apps at all so its easy to lock down. They log into their PC with JUST windows and anti virus installed log into our rds portal to do their job.

Loging IN
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B-1soh6bqO4fYzJmMGE2NTMtMjhkMy00MWZhLTk1ODctOTJiM2VhYmQyNjc5&hl=en

Im IN
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B-1soh6bqO4fOTU3MWYwNTYtOTQwZS00NDA0LWEwMTYtMjRjMjcxOTA1M2Ri&hl=en

Opened Outlook App
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B-1soh6bqO4fZmEwNTc3NjEtN2UzNS00YmUwLThjNzMtYjhkMjE3ZTY5YWMy&hl=en

Here is an idea on how it will look. This look can be customized.

I am using remote app so outlook looks like its actually running on my machine but its not. It can be resized and moved around there is sound and even the little popups when you get a new message.

You can use the remote app feature or just make a link to your rds server and it will open a normal session like your used to.

The Bublitz
Systems Admin
Hospice of the Red River Valley
More
13 years 2 months ago #36186 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic Closing this chapter
Hi all

Thanks for all the assistance and advice provided for my problem After extensive experimentation and goggle searches, countless inquiries to Cisco VPN support and talking with my company's network engineer, I have come to the conclusion that I won't be able to communicate with any local resources while running a secure VPN session.

The reason is in the mere definition of VPN. Once a VPN session is established, that PC becomes a part of the remote network. For the sake of security and to ensure the remote network does not get merged with the local network, it is disabled by default.

The only way to achieve this would be to ask the VPN provider to enable 'local resource access' as part of the VPN profile. But that would defeat the whole purpose of having the VPN in the first place.

So I'm closing this quest as of now, and this chapter is closed. I thank you all again.

Cheers

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds