Skip to main content

Two applications using the same port

More
15 years 8 months ago #27097 by silentko
ok the first thing that i did when i realized that port 80 is block was use another port. I use port 2000 ( IIS doesn't care what port ur using) and people were not able to see my web server . it works fine locally. it doesnt matter if i change the port in IIS its still not working ppl still cant see my web server.

and about the 2 application using the same port i was just saying that AUTAPF gives me the option to redirect traffic to different ports but like you said ( i reallyze you couldnt use the same port with 2 different applications since IIS did not start if i had AUTAPF running) it doesn't work. as of right now the only option is to use a router and redirect traffic to whatever port i have IIS running on. i dont want to usea a router but if it comes to that i guess ill have to. I can also do my experiments locally i guess but ill rather bypass this if its possible.

Re: Optimum Online Web Hosting.
Oct 3rd, 2004
I have Optimum Online with a Linksys router running IIS 5.1 on Windows XP Pro. I set my port in IIS to be 3390. I setup port forwarding on my Linksys to forward 3390 to my statically assigned IP (192.168.7.51). I registed a domain name with Dyndns.org. When I would enter mydomainname.dyndns.org:3390 in a web browser (on an external network of course), I was getting a "Page Cannot be Displayed" error message.
It took me about an hour to figure out that I needed to add the new port number to the "Exceptions" list in the Windows Firewall which was installed and enabled by default with SP2. I feel silly.

that was posted 4 years ago almost so am not sure if it still works but as you can see apparently he had IIS running like i though it would work.

thanks.
More
15 years 8 months ago #27102 by S0lo
hmmm, I haven't configured SSH tunneling or proxy for a webserver before. May be experts here could help you.

One thing here, You said that you were able connect from outside by "Putty" using SSH. As far as I know SSH sessions use TCP (with port 22 in putty by default). So how about trying to setup IIS to use port 22. If this doesn't work and still putty works then your ISP surely blocks inbound HTTP not matter what the port is.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
15 years 8 months ago #27103 by silentko
Hi

I was able to get it to work like you said using port 22. Firefox wont open it without changing some settings because it says that that port is use for something else(am guessing u will have to change something using about:config). SSH of course.

This address uses a network Port Restricted for Security Reasons

This address uses a network port which is normally used for purposes other than Web browsing. Firefox has canceled the request for your protection.

The requested address specified a port (e.g. "mozilla.org:80" for port 80 on mozilla.org) normally used for purposes other than Web browsing. The browser has canceled the request for your protection and security.

Internet explorer is able to open it without problems.

I cant believe that after messing around with so much stuff all i had to do was use the same port that i have being using to connect to my computer for a few weeks now. what a shame lol.

now am using dyndns webhop services but no matter what i do i have to use the *:22 at the end. i did make sure that when i was setting up web hop it uses port 22. example dns host carlo.homeip.net than web hop carlos.homeip.net:82. i havent being able to go around this but i think ill take a break for now.

thanks for the help man.

PS: if you want i can send u a PM and tell you my host name/ip address and also for you to check my settings at dyndns.com
More
15 years 8 months ago #27114 by S0lo
Glad it worked :)

This address uses a network Port Restricted for Security Reasons

Internet explorer is able to open it without problems.

hahaha lololo :) A plus for Microsoft from no where for their good old browser.

now am using dyndns webhop services but no matter what i do i have to use the *:22 at the end. i did make sure that when i was setting up web hop it uses port 22. example dns host carlo.homeip.net than web hop carlos.homeip.net:82. i havent being able to go around this but i think ill take a break for now.

As far as I know, dyndns only maps your dns name to your IP, it has nothing to do with ports. Do you have access to the router that connects you to your ISP?

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
15 years 8 months ago #27121 by silentko
nah they wont allow you to. Optimum Online its pretty picky hehe. The thing is since the cable connection was so fast that people start it abusing it and thats the main reason why they pretty much start it blocking all types of servers.

Its running now but its actually running really slow not worth all the trouble that i had to go trough to make it work lol .

Thanks for all the help though.
More
15 years 8 months ago #27124 by S0lo
Your welcome :)

By the way, I found some time and diged into the SSH issue, It's possible using Putty with tunneling on the client side and FreeSSHD on the server, managed to do a small test and it works. But it's too cumbersome. The :22 is much better.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds