Skip to main content

Two applications using the same port

More
15 years 8 months ago #27082 by silentko
Is it possible to use the same port at the same time with 2 different applications(i was reading around and apparently you cant)? Am trying to setup IIS web server on my PC but since my ISP block all HTTP traffic i cant do it. My ISP is optimum online they pretty much own your sh*t. so what i was trying to do was use an application that allow me to redirect all the traffic from one port to another.

This is what i did i went to dyndns.com setup a webhop like this my.ip:82 and then with the app that am using ( am using AUTAPF ) to redirect port 82 to port 80 on my local network.

but IIS wont start because am using the same port at the same time witht AUTAPF or AUTAPF wont start because IIS is running.

I guess my question is is there any way around this? Am trying to do this just for educational purposes only (am not trying to run an actual web server just to test some things on windows 2003 server )since i want to setup a few things on windows 2003 server.

I also read that you can do this if you have a router that supports web hop redirect but i don't want to use a router.

thanks in advance i hope this doesn't confuse people and that i explain myself. Please excuse any language errors English is not my first language.
More
15 years 8 months ago #27086 by S0lo
As I recall from IIS 5.0 you can set your website to use a different port than port 80. So IIS itself would respond to any other port (say 82). So you might not even need a port redirection tool like AUTAPF.

Still one doubt, Are you sure you ISP is blocking only port 80 ? It could be blocking any incoming port (server access).

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
15 years 8 months ago #27087 by silentko
yes ISS can run on any port pretty much but i think they are blocking all HTTP traffic or like you said incoming port access. but i was able to setup a ventrilo/team speak server (they use UPD ports) and i also install cygwin so i can run a ssh server and see if was able to do some tunneling (the ssh server works fine i was able to connect using putty )but i don't think this will work or at least it didn't work for me maybe i was doing it wrong. if anybody has any idea how to do it with ssh let me know. also a friend ask me if i try SSL not sure if it will work with this haven't try it yet

.any ideas? thanks
More
15 years 8 months ago #27089 by S0lo
Since you were able to connect to some servers from out side, then thats a clear signal that their blocking is not absolute. They might be as you said blocking only INBOUND http traffic regardless of the port used (thats not easy). But they could be also blocking only port 80 as you suggested too. In this later case, IIS on another port should work. Just remember to put the port number after the URL like this:

http://server-name:portnumber

So if your DNS name is say abc.webhop.net and your port number that you configured in IIS is 8080. You need to type the following in your browsers URL box:

abc.webhop.net:8080

Returning back to your original question (sorry I forgot). NO you can't use the same port at the same time with 2 different applications. At least one of the application will not work.

Hope this helps. Tell us what happens if it doesn't.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
15 years 8 months ago #27094 by silentko
Yea i was able to run ssh server using cygwin ( am using win xp pro ) and also a ventrilo and team speak server. but i think i was able to because both ventrilo and team speak use UPD protocols and if i want to run a web server it uses tcp protocosl not sure if that has actually something to do with the problem but like you said the fact that i was able to do some servers its proof that they are not blocking everything. maybe just HTTP traffic.

Well they are blocking port 80 that's a fact because that was the first thing i try without doing anything and it just works locally.

I know you can redirect ports with iptables in linux but am using windows and it looks like you can do this with a router that supports web hop redirection. but i dont want to use a router.

There might be some ways to do it with SSH (tunneling) or a proxy some how or i dont know. my friend told me to try ssl but i dont even know where to start or if you can do this with ssl.

thanks for telling me about the 2 applications using the same port. i never knew u cant use the same port at the same time since i have never had that problem until now.

theres has to be a way to redirect traffic from any port to my local port 80 AUTAPF has the tools but i cant tell it to redirect the traffic from lets say port 82 to port 80 on my local network since IIS is using it. and both application cant be using the same port at the same time.

any ideas will be appreciated. thanks
More
15 years 8 months ago #27096 by S0lo

theres has to be a way to redirect traffic from any port to my local port 80 AUTAPF has the tools but i cant tell it to redirect the traffic from lets say port 82 to port 80 on my local network since IIS is using it. and both application cant be using the same port at the same time.

any ideas will be appreciated. thanks

Possible misunderstanding here, You can't use the same port for two applications in the same SERVER/PC. No problems on using the same ports on the same LOCAL NETWORK since the IPs differentiates the two machines.

I know you can redirect ports with iptables in linux but am using windows and it looks like you can do this with a router that supports web hop redirection. but i dont want to use a router.

Why don't you simply configure IIS to accept connections from another port? The feature is in IIS interface itself.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds