Skip to main content

IP WHOIS Results...

More
18 years 7 months ago #9995 by Tarun
Replied by Tarun on topic Re: IP WHOIS Results...

Well, as you must have guessed all these are bureaucratical policies that define how the allocation of public (Internet) addresses is done. So it basically concerns only those who wish to apply for a direct allocation of an IP address block (minimum /24 subnet) and it has nothing to do with anything technical. More like legal stuff..

Oh My God you people are insane, such good & technical answer in so less time, i just posted it, may be thats the reason you are the "mod" & i am bloody @ :lol:

Ok when you say "minimum /24 subnet" it would be a full class "C" IP address comprising of 254 hosts ?

Next would be SP (Service Provider)
CCNA, CCNP (Switching), CCIE#20640
More
18 years 7 months ago #9996 by nske
Replied by nske on topic Re: IP WHOIS Results...

Oh My God you people are insane, such good & technical answer in so less time, i just posted it, may be thats the reason you are the "mod" & i am bloody @ :lol:

haha no way! You've also provided some great technical answers... :) If you stick around long enough (and want to), you might become a moderator just as well ;)

Ok when you say "minimum /24 subnet" it would be a full class "C" IP address comprising of 254 hosts ?

Yes, well again the minimum size for an allocation may vary from sub-authority to sub-authority, but a full class C is the absolute minimum.
More
18 years 7 months ago #9997 by Tarun

CIDR: 70.84.0.0/15, 70.86.0.0/16, 0.87.0.0/17

What about this, i would understand /24, but 70.84.0.0/15 is actually supernetting not subnetting :(

More
18 years 7 months ago #9998 by nske
Whoops, you are right of course, I should have read twice what I wrote :oops: Just edited it, thanks!

No matter what however, CIDR, if defined in the whois database -which is usually in large allocations- is just used to describe the amount and size of the basic network segments in that range.
More
18 years 7 months ago #9999 by Tarun

No matter what however, CIDR, if defined in the whois database -which is usually in large allocations- is just used to describe the amount and size of the basic network segments in that range.

So easy to say that but i don't understand that completely.

Well, this is exactly what i want to study more about but i am not getting enough of material on this, any clues where can i get it ?

More
18 years 7 months ago #10000 by nske
hmm you mean the way CIDR address allocation in the internet is planed in the first place? Because it's the same strategy followed everywhere. In that case, check RFC1518 and RFC2050 . It's easy to understand as a concept, the actual math and planing-ahead is an other story though. I understand why someone fond of mathematics would find that fascinating -me, I just hate the whole thing (too many computations involved and no place for mistakes :? ).
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds