Skip to main content

Design an ip addressing scheme to meet design requirements

More
19 years 4 weeks ago #7990 by nske

I read from one reference book that to actually begin subnetting , you will be given an ip address from the internet service provider. When u perform subnetting with this ip address, will any host of the network be assigned with this ip address ???

so how do you start to subnet ?? when u subnet you need to have one ip address. how do u get the ip address ??

Actually to subnet you need to have a subnet of IP addresses, that's what this is all about, breaking the subnet into smaller ones. How you got this is irrelevant, as far as you need to be conserned to understand subneting, you pick it yourself (this is what you would do in your own network). Otherwise it is being assigned to you, as is obviously the case in Wide Area Networks like the Internet. The way you will assign the IP addresses to hosts individually is also irrelevant, since subnetting is just about networks not hosts -but it is quite obvious that you can assign whatever available IP address of each network to whatever host. This is why you define the "netmask" in each host, so that he knows where he belongs.

Subnetting is a mathematical procedure, you need to understand the logic behind it to do it. I think everything is explained as well as possible at the appropriate tutorial of the site, here (but you will need to know about IP first, so if you don't, start from where gl0bal pointed you). ;)
More
19 years 4 weeks ago #7992 by aa4f4fsd47
hey, thanks for the explanation.
This is a great site
i think i will read through the whole of subnet again.
More
19 years 2 weeks ago #8171 by Ranger24
Replied by Ranger24 on topic Subnet Calculator
Hi,

Subnetting is easier if you have a calculator to help. Solar winds offer a free subnetting calculator that I can highly recommend:

www.solarwinds.net/Tools/Free_tools/Subnet_Calc/index.htm

I found using this helped me understand the concepts better.

Good Luck!

Patience - the last reserve of the any engineer
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds