Skip to main content

Design an ip addressing scheme to meet design requirements

More
19 years 1 month ago #7949 by aa4f4fsd47
Quite cant understand ip addressing scheme using subnets.
Can anyone help me with this question ??
Is subnetting used for using VLAN ?

The 2 question is:
Show all the ip addresses included for the 1st 3 subnets with the following information given;

1) IP Address = 199.141.27.0
2) Subnet Mask = 255.255.255.240

Number of hosts per subnet :
(Include network address and broadcast address)

Number of subnets available:

Total number of ip addresses available :

====================================
1st Subnet
- (Network Address)
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
- (Broadcast Address)

=======================================

2nd Subnet
- (Network Address)
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
- (Broadcast Address)

========================================
3rd Subnet
- (Network Address)
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
- (Broadcast Address)

=============================================
More
19 years 1 month ago #7969 by tiamat
Subnetting a network is not always used for VLAN purposes. Subnetting breaks larger networks into smaller networks such as taking one Class C network of 254 hosts and making four networks each of only 62 hosts by 'stealing' bits from the host portion of the address space and using them for the network. This increases the number of networks, but decreases the amount of hosts per network.

This may be done for many reasons; perhaps you need to group similar resources into their own network, or need to host servers on a DMZ or want to set aside a network specifically for backup or management services. Another function that subnetting does is make the Ethernet broadcast domain smaller, so that there are fewer machines that are fighting to talk all on one segment.

as for your second question:

number of hosts per subnet: 16

number of subnets available: 16

total number of ip addresses available: 256 (224 useable ip addresses)

1st subnet:
network address: 199.141.27.0
hosts 199.141.27.1-14
broadcast address: 199.141.27.15

2nd subnet
network address: 199.141.27.16
hosts 199.141.27.17-30
broadcast address: 199.141.27.31

3rd subnet
network address: 199.141.27.32
hosts 199.141.27.33-46
broadcast address: 199.141.27.47
More
19 years 1 month ago #7970 by aa4f4fsd47
Subnetting a network is not always used for VLAN purposes. Subnetting breaks larger networks into smaller networks such as taking one Class C network of 254 hosts and making four networks each of only 62 hosts by 'stealing' bits from the host portion of the address space and using them for the network. This increases the number of networks, but decreases the amount of hosts per network.

This may be done for many reasons; perhaps you need to group similar resources into their own network, or need to host servers on a DMZ or want to set aside a network specifically for backup or management services. Another function that subnetting does is make the Ethernet broadcast domain smaller, so that there are fewer machines that are fighting to talk all on one segment.

1)But if by breaking up one large network into many small networks, does that mean that these small networks will need routers to communicate with each another?

as for your second question:

number of hosts per subnet: 16

number of subnets available: 16

total number of ip addresses available: 256 (224 useable ip addresses)

1st subnet:
network address: 199.141.27.0
hosts 199.141.27.1-14
broadcast address: 199.141.27.15

2nd subnet
network address: 199.141.27.16
hosts 199.141.27.17-30
broadcast address: 199.141.27.31

3rd subnet
network address: 199.141.27.32
hosts 199.141.27.33-46
broadcast address: 199.141.27.47

1) Is network address considered as the subnet ip address ?

2) I read from one reference book that to actually begin subnetting , you will be given an ip address from the internet service provider. When u perform subnetting with this ip address, will any host of the network be assigned with this ip address ???

3)If i am to use routers to allow communication between subnet segments, how will u assign the ip address for the routers?? Is the 2nd ip address of each subnet after the network address usually put aside for the router ??

4)So for a Class C ip address for subnetting, the increments for the each ip addresses will be the 4rd octet.
But what about the Class A or Class B ip addressing ?

For example.
you are provided with this class B ip address from the internet service provider.

Class B address - 172.12.0.0
SUbnet mask - 225.255.128.0

Number of hosts per subnet :
(Include network address and broadcast address)

Number of subnets available:

Total number of ip addresses available :

I have now known the way Class C ip address increments.
Can anyone provide all ip addresses that can be used for all subnets using the format below to show me how class B ip addresses increments ?

1st subnet
network address:
hosts :
broadcast address:

Anyway thanks to tiamat, i have now understand the concept of subnetting but now lack that little bit for class B ip address to fully understand the concepts.

Thanks again.[/b][/b]
More
19 years 1 month ago #7983 by beexo

2) I read from one reference book that to actually begin subnetting , you will be given an ip address from the internet service provider. When u perform subnetting with this ip address, will any host of the network be assigned with this ip address ???
[/b]

Subnetting has nothing to do with ISP.

Did you read the tutorias in Firewall.cx? If so, read it again please.
More
19 years 1 month ago #7984 by gl0bal
The tutorials that beexo is talking about can be found at www.firewall.cx/ip-intro.php

These are very good tutorials, perhaps one of the best reasons to first read firewall.cx so once you have had a good look through if there are any areas that are not clear then let us know your question and what you have already researched.

Sahirh posted this url www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html that talks about how to post your technical questions. You may also find this useful.

I'm confident you'll click with subnetting soon. Stick with it. :D
More
19 years 1 month ago #7985 by aa4f4fsd47

[/b]

Subnetting has nothing to do with ISP.

Did you read the tutorias in Firewall.cx? If so, read it again please.

so how do you start to subnet ?? when u subnet you need to have one ip address. how do u get the ip address ??
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds