Skip to main content

basic questions

More
16 years 2 months ago #25240 by Ozzy_98
Replied by Ozzy_98 on topic Re: basic questions
It was suposed to be reduced by AT LEAST 1 per hop, and was suposed to be measured in seconds, but in pratice, each hop is 1 click off the TTL. In IPv6 they renamed it like hop count or something too.
More
16 years 2 months ago #25244 by KiLLaBeE
Replied by KiLLaBeE on topic Re: basic questions
yeah, i thought so. almost all computer books define TTL and none ever mention anything about the 1 second deal. Must not be a really good book. But then it upsets me that the professor covered this topic and didn't express his disagreement with the statement.
More
16 years 2 months ago #25277 by ashok_nitc
Replied by ashok_nitc on topic Re: basic questions
TTL is time to live: you may think it as time to live (number of seconds) but actually it is number of hops. This parameter is used to remove the packet from the network if it is failed to reach the destination.

For example:
ping 10.0.22.226 -i 2

here TTL is set to 2 ( default is 64 for windows). so if the above host is reachable by 2 hop, then it will get the ping reply with number of hops it took to reach the destination!!

else you will get message like:
Reply from 10.0.22.226: TTL expired in transit.

This is a very important parameter for ICMP protocol
More
16 years 2 months ago #25285 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: basic questions

That doesn't sound right to me. How would router 2 know what time the packet left router 1? Unless I'm missing something about regular data packets having timestamps in them...

Hmm, what if the router timestamped the packets only internally? could that be possible?

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
16 years 2 months ago #25286 by Chojin
Replied by Chojin on topic Re: basic questions
Negative.

TTL is the maximum of hops a package can travel.
Time is of no importance (besides timeout ofcourse :))

CCNA / CCNP / CCNA - Security / CCIP / Prince2 / Checkpoint CCSA
More
16 years 1 month ago #25306 by Smurf
Replied by Smurf on topic Re: basic questions

That doesn't sound right to me. How would router 2 know what time the packet left router 1? Unless I'm missing something about regular data packets having timestamps in them...

Hmm, what if the router timestamped the packets only internally? could that be possible?

Again, how would other routers know this time if its only internally ?

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds