Skip to main content

basic questions

More
16 years 1 month ago #25307 by Chojin
Replied by Chojin on topic Re: basic questions
Just for the record, there are more TTL's.

TTL for tcp traffic is based on hops allowed.
TTL for DNS e.g. is based on time.

CCNA / CCNP / CCNA - Security / CCIP / Prince2 / Checkpoint CCSA
More
16 years 1 month ago #25308 by Smurf
Replied by Smurf on topic Re: basic questions
Ok, just read the book of all TCP/IP and apparently the TTL was originally designed to contain a time value (in seconds), which would be filled in when the datagram was originally sent. Routers then decrese the value periodically. Since routers can handle the transfer of datagrams faster than a second, this wasn't seen to be a good way which is why its used for Hop Count.

The TTL filed was also designed to ensure time-critical datagrams wouldn't become stale or pass their expiration date.

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
16 years 1 month ago #25312 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: basic questions

That doesn't sound right to me. How would router 2 know what time the packet left router 1? Unless I'm missing something about regular data packets having timestamps in them...

Hmm, what if the router timestamped the packets only internally? could that be possible?

Again, how would other routers know this time if its only internally ?

I know this is too wild Smurf and is most probably wrong. But just to answer your question, I think other routers would not need to know the time stamp if it is only for the purpose of knowing the total time a packet stayed in the router and for decreasing the TTL of the packet when every second passes. Again, I don't think this is what is happening.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
16 years 1 month ago #25313 by Chojin
Replied by Chojin on topic Re: basic questions

That doesn't sound right to me. How would router 2 know what time the packet left router 1? Unless I'm missing something about regular data packets having timestamps in them...

Hmm, what if the router timestamped the packets only internally? could that be possible?

Again, how would other routers know this time if its only internally ?

I know this is too wild Smurf and is most probably wrong. But just to answer your question, I think other routers would not need to know the time stamp if it is only for the purpose of knowing the total time a packet stayed in the router and for decreasing the TTL of the packet when every second passes. Again, I don't think this is what is happening.

100% right.

Just try out setting up a dumb network with 5 routers.
Send from end to end with a TTL of 4 and 5.

TTL within TCP/IP packages is the amount of hops.

TTL within DNS servers or DHCP servers is based on time.

CCNA / CCNP / CCNA - Security / CCIP / Prince2 / Checkpoint CCSA
More
16 years 1 month ago #25316 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: basic questions
On a second look, it appears that there is some thing called "TCP timestamps", en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_Contr...tocol#TCP_Timestamps

But it is used for a totally different purpose.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 years 1 month ago #25357 by
Replied by on topic TTL in IP packet
Hello guys, my first post to this board.

If you read this article www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=680824&seqNum=4 i am sure you will get the answer.
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds