Skip to main content

ADSL and telephones

More
17 years 5 months ago #18638 by Arani
ADSL and telephones was created by Arani
hi,
problem : broadband via ADSL is working, but my landline is dead.
how i troubleshooted :
1) changed the telephone set - no joy
2) changed the wire connecting the telephone set to the ADSL filter - no joy
3) changed the filter and repeated steps 1 and 2 - no joy
4) plugged the phone straight into the main telephone socket - no joy
5) lodged a fault with my telephone company, they said there's nothing wrong with the line, it is my end device i.e. the telephone that is faulty. changed the telephone set again for the 3rd time - no joy

is there any other way i can test my telephone line, apart from trying to use my dialup modem to dial a number? any online software which can diagnose my telephone line?
i am not very good with ericsson or realitis switches, so i am in total darkness regarding this peculiar thing. the broadband works, but the telephone doesn't!!!
any leads chaps?

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
More
17 years 5 months ago #18639 by GTM
Replied by GTM on topic Re: ADSL and telephones
Do you know of you have a test socket if you do it will be directly behind the face plate of the master socket if ya do try that.
More
17 years 5 months ago #18640 by DaLight
Replied by DaLight on topic Re: ADSL and telephones
How many other phone sockets have you got at home? Have you tried them?
More
17 years 5 months ago #18641 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic nope
hi dalight
i live in a shared house and my room has the only telephone line. so the socket in my room is the master socket.

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
More
17 years 5 months ago #18652 by Smurf
Replied by Smurf on topic Re: ADSL and telephones
Hi Arani,

I think Ranger24 would probably be one of the best people to advise on this. I would say that this is an issue with the the ISP. Your phone line will go to the exchange, then it gets split off for either Broadband traffic to the DSLAM or phone traffic which goes a different route.

If you have tested several phone lines in the socket then it clearly points to an issue with the phone company. The demarcation is the phone socket that BT installed, which you have stated is the only point in your shared accomodation. Therefore if you have tried several phones in that point then it must be them.

Cheers

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
17 years 5 months ago #18656 by Ranger24
Replied by Ranger24 on topic Re: ADSL and telephones
Hi Arani,

Smurf is on the ball. I'd put money on it that at the exchange you voice circuit is poort connected (if at all). The diagram below shows how it should be set up:

[code:1]
Master Socket ---[copper pair]--- splitter
> Exchange (voice)
|
> DSLAM
[/code:1]

So your copper goes into a splitter and then the voice signal to the exchange, and the DSL goes to the DSLAM.

So there are 3 points of failure:

1) Splitter is faulty - unlikely as these will probably be passive and therefore contain no breakable parts

2) Connection from splitter to exchange has not been made therfore voice as no where to go.

3) You line is incorrectly configured at the exchange. (unlikely).

If a known working phone is dead when plugged into the master socket it nearly always is (2). So the issue is with BT as they probably set the DSLAM etc up - but you will need your ISP to refer your fault to BT.

(I assume you get a phone bill for the line rental from BT)

By the way it is unlikely you are connected to a Realitis exchange as these are PABXs - so would only be found in a corporate environment. I cut my teeth of realitis....memories!

Keep us updated!

br

R

Patience - the last reserve of the any engineer
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds