Skip to main content

Switch with a Hub instinct on Packet Tracer?

More
18 years 6 months ago #10912 by RedRanger
Thank you all for your help. I'm going to have to consult my teacher on broadcasting, because I was told that switches do not even affect broadcasting.

RedRanger

"I'd Rather You Hate Me For Everything I Am Than Love Me For Something I'm Not."

Be Awesome
More
18 years 5 months ago #11151 by sahirh
Post us a few lines of the trace. If you've got tcpdump:
tcpdump -nnnq
or tethereal -nnn

Most likely you're seeing a lot of ARP traffic.

Cheers,

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
18 years 5 months ago #11234 by harrybaba
Unknown destination is also flooded out all Ports. This will be the very initial condition of the switch when it is turned ON and has just started switching packets out of its interfaces.

3 conditions :
1) Broadcast/Multicast
2) Mac-Address Table is full
3) Unknown destination.

Having a packet trace should provide exact details.
More
18 years 5 months ago #11237 by mew
Packet Tracer is network simulation software that is available to Cisco Academies. You can build virtual networks with routers, switches, bridges, hubs, access points, repeaters, PCs, servers, printers, and it even has a “Cloud”. I believe the name comes from the fact that in simulation and realtime modes you are able to ping from one properly configured device to another and envelope shaped “packets” travel across the screen. This is educational software and has nothing to do with tracing packets across live networks.

I’m thinking that RedRanger may have misunderstood a discussion on broadcast domains :? with regard to the fact that a switch will not break up a broadcast domain. Just as cascading hubs will enlarge a collision domain cascading switches will enlarge a broadcast domain. Thus a switch will have no effect with regard to separating broadcast domains. The exception being if you configure VLANs on the switches in this case each VLAN will have its own broadcast domain. This should not be confused with the actual process of broadcasting packets. harrybaba is right on in the information he provided on this subject :wink: as is gangadar1234 :) and Rockape also is on the right track :wink: .
More
18 years 5 months ago #11239 by Rockape
More
18 years 5 months ago #11270 by ping
One more thing that comes in my mind is that was the switch newly installed and was it in learning mode.

As you will know that switches does the packet forwording when newly installed and when in learning mode.

Cheers.. :D

~Pranav

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you can not do..!!
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds