Skip to main content

Switch with a Hub instinct on Packet Tracer?

More
18 years 6 months ago #10849 by RedRanger
Hey, I was working with packet tracer today and I saw something very disturbing. Now we all know that a hub will flood out packets received to all ports attached with the exception of the one it came in on. A switch, however, is supposed to only send the packet out the port in which it is destined to go. I did a packet tracer today, and the switch sent the packet out all the ports :shock: Could someone please describe to me what is going on?!

RedRanger

"I'd Rather You Hate Me For Everything I Am Than Love Me For Something I'm Not."

Be Awesome
More
18 years 6 months ago #10902 by DaLight
Are you sure you were not broadcasting?
More
18 years 6 months ago #10904 by Rockape
Yeah, that's what I thought as well.
More
18 years 6 months ago #10905 by RedRanger
I was taught in the academy that you can not broadcast using a switch unless you were using VLANs. I don't have any VLANs on. Very confusing...

RedRanger

"I'd Rather You Hate Me For Everything I Am Than Love Me For Something I'm Not."

Be Awesome
More
18 years 6 months ago #10906 by Rockape
Had a quick think about this, and there are a few things to mention.
Every switch has to broadcast at some point, to find out what is attached to what port. So, it's possible the traffic you saw was an ARP cache. But, there is another possibility. If the MAC table in the switch is "full" and there is no free space. In effect the switch will again have to broadcast to get to somewhere else.

So,

Two things to check.

1) Was the traffice some kind of broadcast (ARP etc)?
2) Is the MAC table full, and so the switch has had to do a broadcast?

Hope that made sense, if not, let me know and I'll try and breakdown the answer.
More
18 years 6 months ago #10907 by gangadar1234
Mr Redranger

A switching network with out any vlan is a flat single broadcast domain,where as every single vlan is a seperate broadcast domain
i.e broadcast from one vlan is not forwarded to another vlan.

so in short every switch will have some short of broadcasting

hope this will help u in solving u r query.
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds