More
13 years 9 months ago #34885 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic ...
Lab is offline for upgrades.

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
More
13 years 9 months ago #34901 by valeri
Replied by valeri on topic Re: cisco lab
thank you so much, Arany: I almost stop my activity on this site. I thoght it's a sort of just way of spending time like many other ones.
By the way, whether you or someone knows, what router simulator is a good and not expensive, or even 'free download', I'm pretty much new in cisco and I was diseased last time so... did not work for a long period of time.
More
13 years 9 months ago #34908 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic SIM Software
Cisco Packet Tracer 5.2 is a good simulator software. GNS3 is another good one but it needs a really powerful machine to work properly. Hope this helps. Oh by the way, both of them are free. You just need to do a google search to find them.

More
13 years 9 months ago #34909 by JamieP
Replied by JamieP on topic Re: cisco lab
technically packet tracer isnt free ;) you are suppose to have a cisco academy account.

but there are plently of places to obtain it

packet tracer isnt as powerfull as GNS3, but as Arani mentioned, you need a well spec'ed machine to run GNS3, and you also need the IOS images, which if you are just starting out you might not have.

packet tracer is good for the CCNA, but dosnt have enough features for the CCNP, and it dosnt ALWAYS behave the same way as real kit, especially with routing updates. I've had times when ive tried to get something working, and it just wouldnt, but when i have made a lab with real kit, with the same commands, it works fine.

Jamie Parks
Network Engineer, UK
More
13 years 9 months ago #34910 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic ...
Will agree with jamiep on the issues raised.
Yes, ideally you need a small to medium setup at home or anywhere to practice Cisco networking stuff hands on.
That's what I did, bought a couple of Cisco routers and switches from ebay, and setup my own lab. Now people come over to my house to practice sometimes.
Since you asked for a simulator I recommended whatever I did. But the right way to go would be to have some real kit to work on as simulators at the end of the day are just 'simulators'. They are not the real thing. They won't give you the real experience e.g. how to do a xmodem transfer of a IOS file in an emergency etc.

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds