Skip to main content

CCNA Re-Examination dilema - Does it worth the effort?

More
17 years 11 months ago #15271 by ikaros
I'm in a dilema and would like your help. My CCNA certification is approaching its expiration day.

Having in mind the fact that I haven’t found a job in the networking industry yet and for the past 4+ years I work as a software engineer should I renew it by re-taking the exams?

For the time being I don’t have the time (and most importantly money) to study for further certification ie CCNP or what ever for automatic renewal of CCNA.
More
17 years 10 months ago #15274 by The_Berzerker
Hey ikaros,
I have 3 solutions to your problems and which one you choose is entirely up to you. Of course CCNA is considered a very important certification in the networking field.
On to the solutions:
1) Retake the test
2) Sit for the 642-831 CIT Cisco Internetwork Troubleshooting exam which is the simplest in the CCNP career path an will get your CCNA valid again
3) Wait until you find a cisco network engineer job and note in your cv and interview that you were CCNA and could sit for the exam again if the company requires it.
Since you got the CCNA 4 years ago I believe that sitting again for the same exam is not a bad idea, as it has changed a bit.

Hope I helped,
Cheers
More
17 years 10 months ago #15290 by ccvp
Hi The_Berzerker and ikaros

And I also wanted to re-new my CCNA.

Can I re-new My CCNA By Sitting for CCDA Exam ?
Please advise .

Thanking you in Anticipation :)
More
17 years 10 months ago #15292 by The_Berzerker
Hey mate,
Sorry for the news but gaining the CCDA will not renew your CCNA as it is a different certification track.
Cheers
More
17 years 10 months ago #15296 by ccvp
Hi

Well, It's alright. I thought that CCDA exam was going to help.

Thank you for the Information.

Good Luck :)
More
17 years 10 months ago #15348 by ikaros

On to the solutions:
1) Retake the test
2) Sit for the 642-831 CIT Cisco Internetwork Troubleshooting exam which is the simplest in the CCNP career path an will get your CCNA valid again
3) Wait until you find a cisco network engineer job and note in your cv and interview that you were CCNA and could sit for the exam again if the company requires it.
Since you got the CCNA 4 years ago I believe that sitting again for the same exam is not a bad idea, as it has changed a bit.

You've been a great help, and I'm more inclined towards solution 2 or 1. Though when I discussed my dilemma with friends and colleagues from work they all suggested a forth solution.

They all said “accept the fact that you are a software engineer and it is extremely difficult if not impossible for a company to see you otherwise. If you’re not happy with your current job start looking for another one you have a lot more chances as a software engineer”

I’m thinking maybe they’re right, anyway I’ll give it one more shot on solution 2 or 1 as not to loose contact with networks and at the same time start job hunting as a software engineer.

You’ve been most helpful and certainly I’ll keep visiting this forum.
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds