Skip to main content

Static IP address Linksys Wireless Router.

More
20 years 5 months ago #1831 by sahirh
I think he's only got two machines.. in which case DHCP is just a waste of resources on some system. I would say if its a manageable number of systems, turn off that DHCP and do a one time assignment.

And yeah you can't forward to a dynamically assigned address obviously... well I'm sure there would be some way if the connection dynamic updated in DNS or something but hey ;) we're not talking about that are we !!

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 5 months ago #1832 by tfs
You're probably right. I wasn't paying attention to what he had, just what he seemed to be trying to accomplish. I agree. DHCP would be unnecessary for a couple of machines.

Actually, it would be possible to use a DHCP, also, if you knew that address wouldn't change - such as setting the lease time real high. In my case, I have had addresses that were dynamic, but never changed, at least not for years. The only time they changed ere if we changed out our cable modem ( when I used that). The problem is you can't guarantee that they wouldn't change. Then you would obviously have to go and reset the entries that depended on the address. God help you, if you were using a hosts file on all of your machines and were using DHCP. Don't laugh, I've seen it done. :roll:

Thanks,

Tom
More
20 years 5 months ago #1835 by Maskkkk
Tfs and Sahirh,

Alright thanks!!! This board is the Ozone Asylum of Networking! I'll get back to you when I go home and try this out. That's exactly the problem I was having, every morning when I get up I have to check the IP address of my box to see if its changed so I can work on it from my school. It gets really annoying and I'd just like to set it up and forget about it. I'll get back to you after I try things out.

[img]http://home.pct.edu/~leeand00/Hole in the Ozone Layer.gif[/img]

- A Man is not an island...that's why we have fourms!
More
20 years 5 months ago #1837 by tfs
We'll be interested to see how it worked out.

Just remember that just because a thing can be done, doesn't mean it should be done.

Thanks,

Tom
More
20 years 5 months ago #1871 by Maskkkk
Ok, I tried setting my address to a static IP of 192.168.1.103, and I was able to be assigned that IP address, and I could still connect to the router. However... As soon as I did that my Internet Connection stopped working. Why is this?

Thanks again,

[img]http://home.pct.edu/~leeand00/Hole in the Ozone Layer.gif[/img]

- A Man is not an island...that's why we have fourms!
More
20 years 5 months ago #1873 by tfs
Can you post your configuration from the setup page?

Thanks,

Tom
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds