Skip to main content

Static IP address Linksys Wireless Router.

More
20 years 5 months ago #1874 by Maskkkk
Ok here it is...

[/img]

[img]http://home.pct.edu/~leeand00/Hole in the Ozone Layer.gif[/img]

- A Man is not an island...that's why we have fourms!
More
20 years 5 months ago #1877 by L2S
>>If you dont want to use static IP on your computer. Try port triggering instead of port forwarding so that you don't have to specify an IP address on your xbox.

>>You might have missed out on the dns part of the tcp/ip properties of your card, that's why you lost internet connection.
More
20 years 5 months ago #1878 by tfs
What L2s is saying about DNS is something to check. This should be the same as the DNS entries of your router. Since you are using DHCP from the ISP to get your address, you would need to go to the status tab to see this. Here is my status screen:

You should see the WAN address and the default gateway, as well as the DNS entries.

Make sure you put the DNS entries in your host computer.

Also, from your host computer, you should be able to ping the WAN address and the default gateway. If you can, you should be able to see the internet as the default gateway will be your ISPs computer.

Thanks,

Tom
More
20 years 5 months ago #1880 by L2S
>>I have a caller ealier that has the same concern regarding port forwarding.
>>What I had him do is port triggering is instead of port forwarding.
>>On the port forwarding tab you have there a button that says port triggering. No hassle of stating an IP address there, just the ports you need to forward.
More
20 years 5 months ago #1881 by tfs
I am not sure if I understand why we are even dealing with port forwarding or triggering. This is to allow access to your private computers from the outside (a sort of limited DMZ).

What his problem is, if I understand it, is that he cannot connect to the internet from his computer, not that someone can't connect from the outside.

Whether static or dynamic IP addresses (DHCP), he should be able to access the outside.

Thanks,

Tom
More
20 years 5 months ago #1882 by L2S
>>I think the guy wants to forward ports that are used by xbox so that he can play xbox games online, and also other ports that is used by the application running on his PC needs to be forwarded to the router for it to work online.

>>The problem is that the linksys router blocks those ports by default so he opens it on the router.

>>Ports are opened by forwarding them on the router. But forwarding needs a specific IP address, which is a problem on the dhcp clients.

>>Assigning static IP address on the clients would be a possible solution but this is a problem if the dns server addresses supplied to him by the ISP change (which is very common), youll lose internet connection. So you might be forced to redo the dns settings on the tcp/ip properties everytime this happens.

>>But the the router allows port triggering (opens all the specified ports to all the computers whether static or dynamic IP address).
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds