Skip to main content

Using two internet connections

More
19 years 4 months ago #6697 by nske

in fact I'd say that Slackware is a hardcore Linux guru's choice over Redhat.

Perhaps that is not the way it should though. Slackware is overally much more simple than redhat --package management, startup scripts, directory structure, configuration scripts, everything-- and because of this, the way everything works is quite obvious and understandable if someone looks at it a bit. On the other hand Redhat contains more powerful tools and structure, but they intend to get the job done without helping you understand what's going on, which is bad because in unix world the job is not always done without problems and you often have to get your hands dirty. Personally I find the way everything is organized in redhat unnecessarily complicated.

Just my view :)

PS. hehe thanks for the comment on the avatar. I kind of have that face after some hours on PC :P
More
19 years 4 months ago #6698 by micah
well thank you guys very much... it's going to be a little hard to get this all working when Im starting the semester. but thanks alot...
More
19 years 4 months ago #6701 by cybersorcerer
There also could be some hardware implmentations... some sort of concentrator that takes two different interfaces and combines it into one... whether or not that is even an option I just thought Id throw in my two cents

"He who breaks something to find out what it is, has left the path of wisdom."

Gandalf the Grey
More
19 years 4 months ago #6703 by micah
yes, there are a few different dual WAN routers out there... they're an option but I want to learn linux and i've got an old PC sitting around so there's no cost for that...
More
19 years 4 months ago #6709 by cybersorcerer
Ahh, I see now.. so this is more of a learning endeavor... well in that case good luck! Setting up a gateway on linux/unix isnt all that difficult just make sure your carefully write your firewall rulesets. In fact, if you want a nice secure gateway with good networking capabilities you could go for a openBSD box with ipfw intergrated with packet scrubbing, which I must say.. is one tough box to crack.

"He who breaks something to find out what it is, has left the path of wisdom."

Gandalf the Grey
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds