Skip to main content

Help needed for network design setup and implementation

More
18 years 11 months ago #8603 by lan2wan
DaLight,
Do I need Terminal servicesfor this network?
More
18 years 11 months ago #8606 by DaLight
If you mean Terminal services running on the Windows 2003 server in remote administration mode, I would say yes. This makes it easy for you to manage the server remotely. I would disable it explicitly for other users though.
More
18 years 10 months ago #8656 by lan2wan
Hi All,
I set the router up today and got Internet access. Thank you all for your contributions.
Question: After setting everything up, I unplugged the ethernet cable from the laptop and tried to connect to the internet wirelessly, i was unable to connect. I got an error message that i have limited or no connection.
What should i do now? I have not connected the other computers on the network yet.
Thanks
More
18 years 10 months ago #8658 by DaLight
Can you confirm that you definitely have wireless connectivity to the router. e.g. Can you access the router admin page by wireless?
More
18 years 10 months ago #8666 by lan2wan
No I cannot access anything wirelessly.
More
18 years 10 months ago #8670 by DaLight
OK, your first task before even attempting to access the internet through your wireless router is to ensure that you can access the router itself.

1. Reconnect your laptop to one of the router's wired LAN ports and access your router's admin page.
2. Ensure that the wireless option is enabled as this is sometimes disabled by default.
3. Check what kind of security scheme is in place and make sure you have a matching scheme in place on your laptop wireless configuration. E.g. Open access, WEP or WPA. I will not go into the merits of otherwise of each of these. We just want to get you up and running for now.
4. Find out what the SSID has been set to and make sure that your laptop has a matching one setup if your router has not been set to broadcast its SSID.
5. In addition, your Laptop wireless adaptor should have a diagnostic programme which should allow you to check for the presence of wireless networks.
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds