Skip to main content

Help needed for network design setup and implementation

More
19 years 3 months ago #6194 by lan2wan
Hi All,
This might sound a little stupid but I need the help anyway.
I have a project to set up a couple of networks at work. The first will be a wired network that will eventually move to wireless.
Then I will set up networks at other sites(wireless)
The network will have 13 computers(XP), 1 printer/Scanner, I Teamboard(Electronic white board) .
It will be a wired ethernet network.
There will be Internet Access sharing(Cable)
1 Server ( Dell PowerEdge 2600 with Windows 2003 Server Standard edition)
The Network will be used for a community Center where kids and seniors can come and learn to use computers and the Internet. So Security is an Issue as I do not want them visit those funny sites nor do I want them downloading funny stuff.
Can you please help with the Design and generally help me with what I should do and how to go about it. Thank you so much.
All Equipment have already been purchased.
If there is anything I should add please let me know as well.
More
19 years 3 months ago #6206 by jhun
hi

i think you're good to go considering that you already have the materials to build your network. and with regards to physical topology, i think you will not have a hard time in setting this up since i believe that you are well equipped with the knowledge on setting up this network. however, you might find it a little hard in configuring the security issues of your network since you have a wireless network in play. this may serve as a hole in your network open to several treats and the like. it is best that you use a firewall in place in your network so that you could set rules, close ports, etc, specifically during web surfing so that your network could have the security it needs for your users.
More
19 years 3 months ago #6208 by Chris
Lan2wan,

This might seem like a silly question on my behalf :> but are the above equipment involved only for the 'central' site which you spoke about, or are they part of the whole project and will be sent out to the different 'centers' or 'site's' you spoke about?

Once this is clear, you'll need to do some planning. This means that in order for you to figure out what the best setup will be, you need to note down your needs, along with what your trying to achieve.
These notes will then work as a 'guideline' to help you discover other needs and policies which you should place on your network.

To start off with, I assume we have the following equipment to play with:> :

- 1 Dell PowerEdge 2600 / Windows 2003
- 13 computer stations with Windows XP
- 1 Printer/Scanner
- 1 Teamboard
- 1 Broadband Modem for Internet Access

Now on to the questions.....

- What do you want to achieve ?
- What role will the Windows 2003 server play?
- Who gains access to the Internet and what services do you want them to have access to?
- What limitations in bandwidth/data will there be for the Internet?
- Who is allowed to use the printer?

These are just a few questions I could give you at 2:30 am, but I'm sure I'll be able to come up with some better ones after a good night's sleep :)

Give us your input, and ideas so we can help you start planning and implementing your new network!

Issues such as security and permissions are usually left towards the end, because they narrow things down to specific people and access rights. Look at the big picture and then you slowly start breaking it in to pieces and deal with each one individually.

Hope that helped.

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
19 years 3 months ago #6217 by ciscoinsane

lan2wan wrote: Hi All,
This might sound a little stupid but I need the help anyway.
I have a project to set up a couple of networks at work. The first will be a wired network that will eventually move to wireless.
Then I will set up networks at other sites(wireless)
The network will have 13 computers(XP), 1 printer/Scanner, I Teamboard(Electronic white board) .
It will be a wired ethernet network.
There will be Internet Access sharing(Cable)
1 Server ( Dell PowerEdge 2600 with Windows 2003 Server Standard edition)
The Network will be used for a community Center where kids and seniors can come and learn to use computers and the Internet. So Security is an Issue as I do not want them visit those funny sites nor do I want them downloading funny stuff.
Can you please help with the Design and generally help me with what I should do and how to go about it. Thank you so much.
All Equipment have already been purchased.
If there is anything I should add please let me know as well.

:oops: there is nothin that u could feel funny about.....but to stop those guys from downloadin the funny stuff.....u can just put up a passwrd to it whenever they click on that link....ur network should ask them for password ....this can be done when u r configuring it.....and still if u dont get me....i'll try to think over it again..buddy.....all the best..... :twisted:

More
19 years 3 months ago #6238 by lan2wan
Thanks a million Chris,
I'll go over the questions and answer them.
Meanwhile the euipment List I have will be in each of the sites.
Thanks again
More
18 years 10 months ago #8396 by lan2wan
Hi All,
The folks at work have now decided it is time to set the first network up. The network type has changed and instead of the regular wired, they h ave decided that we go wireless in all the sites.
The major components of the network has not changed and as a reminder they are as follows:
1 Dell PowerEdge 2600 / Windows 2003 Standard Edition
- 13 PCs with Windows XP SP2
- 2 Laptops
- 1 HP Printer
- 1 Teamboard
- 1 Cable Internet Access
- 1 Linksys 2.4GHz Wireless-G Broadband Router with SRX

Chris' Questions
Now on to the questions.....

- What do you want to achieve ?
I want to set the network in a way that some users can sign in on any computerand be part of a course or prgoram. The progress of such users needs to be monitored.

- What role will the Windows 2003 server play?
Answer: Authentication, Files etc

- Who gains access to the Internet and what services do you want them to have access to?
Answer: All computers/Users will have access to the Internet

- What limitations in bandwidth/data will there be for the Internet?
Answer: There will be no limitations.

- Who is allowed to use the printer?
Answer: All users are allowed to use the printer

Here are some of my questions and I hope someone can help me out by answering them.

I will set up AD but how do I set up accounts for the individuals that need to have access to files on the server without giving everybody access to the server?

Do I need to set the server up for terminal services as well?
Can any of the computers be the BDC?
Do I still need to set DNS up on the server or should I just use the ISP's.
hich approach is better to set the router up as DHCP server or to set DHCP up on the windows 2003 Server?
How about NAT?

Thank you all for your assistance
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds