Skip to main content

VLAN

More
19 years 6 months ago #5421 by jhun
Replied by jhun on topic Re: VLAN
well you must have a really big network there tracer considering that you are running out of IPs :D ...anyway i think proper planning and devicing a solid and robust IP scheme would do the trick for your dilemma. Try to plan ahead let say a certain department on how many would be linked to the network. be sure that when you estimate the number of hosts to be connected always leave some off for spares. also may i suggest that you use the Class A for IP addressing since this class deals with larger networks not like Class C (which is, according to you, the current IP of choice)which deals with smaller networks.
More
19 years 6 months ago #5426 by Tracer
Replied by Tracer on topic Re: VLAN
Yup Jhun! a big network . actually we have purchased switches that are VLAN capable but the problem is we dont know yet when will the supplier deliver it and the network is keep on growing. to tell you honestly we only have less than 10 available ip address and almost every week there is a new user.

Berzerker, for dept A - we have 50 Users. and for other departments we have 40 below.

Actually we are planning to have a VLAN and to accomodate our needs we decided to set the following address for each dept.
195.10.100.1-254 for dept a, 195.10.101.1-254 for dept b and so on..

But our dilemma is what if we run out of IP before the switches arrived.What do you think is the best solution for this guys?

Thank you very much!!!!

Tracer :D :D :D
More
19 years 6 months ago #5428 by jhun
Replied by jhun on topic Re: VLAN
wow that's a problem there tracer....hmmmm well the best thing to do is to hope that those switches arrive in time...but for the meantime what kind of addressing does your network have?...

do they use static IPs?with that big network i think it would be best to use DHCP instead so that changing of IPs wont be a hassle.

if you use DHCP it would just be a matter of changing the scope at the server side to an IP Class that would suite your needs.
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds