Skip to main content

DHCP vs Static IP addresses

More
14 years 4 months ago #33117 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: hahaha...

So i think i will support the Migration from DHCP to Static, my self my next job i will implement BooTP.

talk2sp, not sure I got you here. Bootp is an old predecessor of DHCP. Check here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bootstrap_Protocol

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
14 years 4 months ago #33118 by next_virus
In my organisation, we have 7 offices, with about 200 employee per office. Earlier we were using static IP. Now our system administrater moved all the machines to domain and asked me to configure all the switches / routers to DHCP.

He control all the systems through AD manager. IT support guy of all the local offices take care of all the machines through this AD manager. Based on MAC we have provided them which machine is connected to which switch and port.

I found it (DHCP) very easier as an network engineer. Don't know about others.
More
14 years 4 months ago #33120 by sose
yeah dhcp is an improvement on bootp. I believe every technology comes with its BUT, just like dhcp
More
14 years 4 months ago #33133 by FlipRich
Moving from from DHCP to Static seems like a step back in technology to me. You can use DHCP reservations if you need to keep certain hosts assigned to specific IP. I'd really only apply static addresses to network devices and servers. You could manage hosts with DNS. And you can use layer 2 port level security to keep rouge devices from connecting to the network.

Any idea on what type of monitoring tools are being used to audit the network? Most tools are capable of using DNS and AD.

Rich
Network Engineer /CCNP, CCNA-S
Tallahassee, FL
More
14 years 4 months ago #33173 by talk2sp
Replied by talk2sp on topic the concept of BooTP
Oga S0lo i thought BooTp's concept besides booting OS images over a network is that a client can not receive ip address xcept it has it's mac entered on the BooTP ip table... well so i saw in the books. And to explain my self more if i had to set up a wireless network for a Hotel i will use BooTp "cos of how it works". sure as S0se said every protocol has its BUTs.

I will thus only use the BooTP idea only for a hotel. When they have a new customer they get his mac add and then permit him to receive an IP.

Correct me if am wrong...

C0DE - 3

BORN TO BE GREAT

c0de - 3
Take Responsibility! Don't let failures define you
More
14 years 3 months ago #33364 by apit
Is it possible if system admin just remote to all the PC's and set all the PC's with fix IP?
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds