Skip to main content

DHCP vs Static IP addresses

More
14 years 3 months ago #33365 by talk2sp
Replied by talk2sp on topic No.... It's not possible...
Hello Apit its not possible to fix an IP on a client system (which might be located 2 blocks away) remotely. The Assigning of Fixed IP can only be done @ the equipment (Router <Hard and Soft>) end.

gE3KS please fix me up tight if i am wrong....

C0DE - 3

BORN TO BE GREAT

c0de - 3
Take Responsibility! Don't let failures define you
More
14 years 3 months ago #33371 by apit
ohhh....Assigning of Fixed IP can only be done by router? this thing is new to me..

Do you have any reference on how the thing can be done?
More
14 years 3 months ago #33423 by talk2sp
Replied by talk2sp on topic DHCP reservations...
Hello Apit, 80% of every hardware Router has something like DHCP reservation on a section of its config page. and for Software routers to u'll see something similar. Go through ur equipment...

Cheers

BORN TO BE GREAT

c0de - 3
Take Responsibility! Don't let failures define you
More
14 years 3 months ago #33424 by S0lo

Is it possible if system admin just remote to all the PC's and set all the PC's with fix IP?

But how can you remote to a PC that doesn't have an IP? "Remote Desktop Protocol" needs an IP.

You can use a DHCP server instead. This can be a normal PC, Server or router. For a PC, Windows 2003 server can do it or you can use any freeware DHCP server, for example Tftpd32 comes with a DHCP server included.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
14 years 3 months ago #33442 by Nevins
Not having DHCP shouldn't matter in a perfect world.

Just make sure you keep track of what IP's are given out. If you don't keep a good list you could end up with some addressing issues.

I hope you don't work with lazy people who forget to write stuff down or create proper host ranges.

Useful Threads
================================
www.firewall.cx/forum/2-basic-concepts/3...e-resource-page.html
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds