Skip to main content

Can't connect to Cisco 1900 Switch with DB9 console port

More
20 years 2 months ago #2793 by Chris
I've never heard of any Soldering certifications! Must be a new CompTIA cert :lol:

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
20 years 2 months ago #2798 by icujc
Actually there is a Certification that is Industry wide. Its called IPC J-STD. I am a certified instructor w/ the remanufactoring cert. Don't diss a Cert that is hard as the J-STD is. You try soldering a surfaced mounted IC chip with a few hundred connections and the size of a nickel. :shock:
More
20 years 2 months ago #2799 by tfs
Soldering ????

Why would you solder a DB9 cable?

Most of the connectors now are just push through pins that you crimp on your wire. Crimpers are fairly cheap (and you don't burn yourself).

Thanks,

Tom
More
20 years 2 months ago #2801 by icujc
He must have been extremely bored and decided that overkill, hassle, and time wasting would be a great accomplishment while trying to soldier a DB9 connector. Seriously I have no idea why.
More
20 years 2 months ago #2803 by sahirh
Heya icujc, nobody was dissing it.. In all seriosity (thats not a real word, but it sure sounds like one ;)) I was honestly asking if there were certs for soldering.

Read above, my only attempt at soldering ended in failure (and what I believe a third degree burn feels like).. and since it is well known that all members of the firewall.cx team are enhanced with nanotechnological implants that give us our superhuman intellect, it just goes to show that soldering is truely a dark art.

There was an old chinese saying... by Sun Tzu I think....
"Fear the enemy that knows how to solder, for his strength flows like the Yang Tze river"

:) dont mind me.. I have a medical condition that forces me to make fun of everything that I am worthless at

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 2 months ago #2813 by mew
lol :D when it comes to DB9 or 15 or 25 I use crimp connections too. That is if I can't get the pin out I need off the shelf. Serial cables and rollover adapters are at your local Radio Shack.
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds