Skip to main content

Can't connect to Cisco 1900 Switch with DB9 console port

More
20 years 3 months ago #2550 by Greenice
Hi,

I recently purchased a second-hand Cisco 1900 Switch. This is an old model with a DB9 console port, not an RJ45. Consequently, the standard rollover cable in conjunction with a DB9-RJ45 adaptor does not work. When connecting to the port, all I see are AT modem command strings. It appears that I am not alone in this problem as I have found a number of online references with people complaining of the same thing. Apparently, these older switches require a special pin-out configuration for the console cable, though my attempts in finding 'official' documentation on this has failed. I have never held a soldering iron in my hand, but I am actually contemplating making my own cable now, hence the interest in the pin-outs. Now I can get my CCNA and brush up on my soldering skills - thanks Cisco. Well, I don't suppose anyone might be able to shed some light on this problem?

Cheers,
Steve.
More
20 years 2 months ago #2565 by sahirh
soldering iron = out of my league.
The only time I even used a soldering iron was trying to repair a guitar cable.. the episode lasted 20 seconds.. like this :

<pick up soldering iron> <get some nice melty solder on the tip> <drop nice melty solder on my bare foot> <never use soldering iron again>

;)

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 2 months ago #2595 by Greenice
Problem resolved. After investing in a soldering kit, and scorching a finger, I succeeded in creating a working cable. For the record, I had to create a proper null modem cable, with DB9 female ends. The pinout is as follows:

1 & 6 - 4
2 - 3
3 - 2
4 - 1 & 6
5 - 5
7 - 8
8 - 7
9 - unused

Hopefully this helps future hapless owners of old 1900 switches.

Cheers,
Steve.
More
20 years 2 months ago #2597 by sahirh
Useful info, thanks.

Hows the finger doing ? Nothing like touching molten metal to get the day going is there ? :lol:

Sahir Hidayatullah.
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 2 months ago #2786 by mew
Replied by mew on topic Whooo?
Sorry, but I could not help myself In spite of the date on this one having several through hole as well as surface mount soldering certifications. It looks like you did not need an Iron at all. A serial cable with a null modem adapter and the job was done.

I hope no one else went through the trials and tribulations of attempting that which they were not trained in like soldering. This is a fine art that must be practiced. This is not superglue nor will "the bigger the glob do the job" as that was obsolete at least 15 years ago.

However, since I know I am a lifetime learner and I refuse to brag too much about my certifications. Just know I am willing to learn from you and all of our mistakes.

My philosophy includes "only through failure do we learn" so while I may sound very sure of myself I am willing to learn from your great knowledge as well. This is because I have failed so often and supposedly learned so much.
More
20 years 2 months ago #2788 by sahirh
You have soldering certifications ?

Sahir Hidayatullah.
tftfotw.blogspot.com
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds