Skip to main content

wireing a rj45 cord to work in a rj11 jack

More
17 years 1 week ago #21195 by icemancometh
how do i wire a rj45 cord to work in a rj11 jack :?:i have an older laptop that has a rj11 jack. im trying to use my exsisting rj45 that goes to my computer can this be wired to work or do they sell a adapter thank you for your replys
More
17 years 1 week ago #21197 by Bublitz
You could just cut the extra pairs of wire with a scisors. Or take the sheilding off the cable and cable it up just using the pairs of wire unshieleded I dont recommend either tho. tho that depends on what you are trying to do.

The Bublitz
Systems Admin
Hospice of the Red River Valley
More
17 years 1 week ago #21203 by candjac
Read the "How to connect rj45 plugs into rj11 jacks" thread, probably sliding back to page 2. It explains how to "narrow" the wider rj45 plug/s so they'll physically fit and electrically connect the middle pair of wires in each plug/jack pair.

And as for the "shielding", we used a shielded rj45 cable; and we were able to remove the thin plate shielding on the "sides" of the rj45 plugs first before narrowing the plastic plugs themselves. Then we squeezed solid wire between the rj45 boot and the remaining plate shielding "under the boot" of each rj45 plug, and "clamped" them snugly with plastic cable ties around the boots. Then those solid wires were run to local "earth grounds", thus maintaining as much "shielding" as is possible under the circumstances...at least more than if no attempt at grounding the shielding was made. The shielding is at worst not an "antenna", and our connection has been working for months now, though we can never "prove" if or how effective our "ad hoc grounding" of the rj45 shielding was. Give it a go...good luck.

candjac
More
17 years 1 week ago #21217 by Bublitz
I may be confused but it sounds like hes taking a cat5 cable and wants to wire in a rj45 jack. Candjac is correct I posted to a thread earlier on this same issue.

The Bublitz
Systems Admin
Hospice of the Red River Valley
More
17 years 1 week ago #21219 by candjac
Bublitz,
Yes the modifications are made to a network cable's rj45 plugs, but to enable a "direct connection to rj11 phone jacks". That's what we interpreted as the original post's request/question.
candjac
More
17 years 1 week ago #21267 by icemancometh
Replied by icemancometh on topic rj45 to rj11
yes im trying to get my laptop to work with my rj45 cord .my laptop is old and has a rj11jack can this even work or do they sell a adapter thanks for your replys
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds