Skip to main content

pcanywhere

More
20 years 2 months ago #2772 by chandak76
Replied by chandak76 on topic chandak76
Hi, What I would really want to know is that is it possible (worth it) to use a cell phone as a modem (9.6k) with any one of that software coz for pcanywhere i don't believe its worth it and at the moment wireless is only starting and we dont have it in most of the areas.
Thanks
More
19 years 7 months ago #5257 by anystupidassname
I'd like to put my 2 cents in regarding Chris' comments.
I'm a former collegue of Jack's

Most of the Norton SystemWorks suite components and Norton Antivirus were and probably still are resource hogs. Many of the components you don't need most of the time anyway. Those particular retail products tended to suck. The enterprise symantec antivirus product is much better.

pcAnywhere, however, is not a resource hog. I won't say it doesn't have any problems. I have seen freaky things happen with pcAnywhere but I consider it an incredibly solid app compared to other remote control products. The freaky things happen when stupid people try to do stupid things with it... (example install an old version for Win 3.x on Windows XP or upgrade an OS while an older version is installed)

If I balance all characteristics (performance, features, price, etc...) here are the remote control products I know of in the order I rate them personally:
NetOp (rules, extremely versatile)
pcAnywhere (Is reliable and almost as fast and has almost as many features - pcAnywhere 11.0 is particularly sweet - *nix support coming in 11.5)
VNC(can be faster than both above but lacking some important features - FREE! - The only remote control product I know that fully supports multiple monitors)
Gotomypc

I have not tried Remote Admin and Network Administrator but to be perfectly honest, after using NetOp, I havn't found a need for anything else.

Regarding chandak76's question:
In my experience latency higher than 500ms is hopeless for pretty much any remote control product, but if you use your wireless device to establish a connection to the internet and latency is below 500ms, then connecting your remote control product over TCP/IP is feasible. I've not had the opportunity (nor do I wish) to try direct modem to modem connections over wireless analog connections even though this may be possible yet messy.

Cheers
:D
More
18 years 10 months ago #9046 by anystupidassname
Replied by anystupidassname on topic addendum
nnbnbSince I posted above, UltraVNC has been written and supports file transfers.
ultravnc.sourceforge.net/
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds