Skip to main content

Password Recovery of ASN Bay Router

More
16 years 2 months ago #25068 by Luong_Huang
I recently inherited an Access Stack Node (ASN) Bay Router, however, the Manager password is unknown. I normally work with Cisco routers and switches and their password recovery procedures are well documented on-line, but Bay/Nortels are not. Is there a relatively painless way to either recover the password or set it to its default? Thanks.
More
16 years 2 months ago #25090 by emperorz
Replied by emperorz on topic ASN-Password Recovery
It is a bit difficult procedure on an ASN to recover the password.
You need to have a file called no_pswd.exe.

In the flash you should definitely have ti_asn.cfg.

1) Rename no_pswd.exe to asn.exe, rename ti_asn.cfg to config, and copy both these to a
blank flash card.
2) Insert the new flash and reboot the router.
3) Once the Power, Boot and Diag lights go on and the Run light starts flashing, the old
password will be cleared. Reboot the router using the original flash card.
4) Login using a username of 'Manager' with no password.
5) Use the 'password' command in the TI to setup a new password.

For this procedure you should get the image file: no_pswd.exe

Very big procedure: :o
More
16 years 2 months ago #25123 by Luong_Huang
Replied by Luong_Huang on topic RE:
Thanks. I know you're being facetious about the difficulty of the procedure, but in fact, it seems a bit difficult to find the no_passwd.exe file (kind of like "How to make a million dollars? First, you take a million dollars and invest it in..."). Apparently Nortel doesn't want this file floating around the Internet because they want you to call for a field engineer to come to your facility and do this for a fee. It is this mentality that will prevent them from ever competing effectively with Cisco. I tried Googling that file to no avail. If you know where I might be able to download a copy, I would appreciate it. Thanks so much!
More
16 years 2 months ago #25135 by emperorz
I am sorry , I really don't know where we can get this file. As a network engineer we did a n/w implementation before and we had to raise a case with Nortel -TAC and got the file, this was 2yrs ago, i have joined a new company and don't have the file. Actually, this is one legacy router which has this procedure and this is a bay router taken over by nortel. As far as i know legacy routers like ASN, pp2430, pp5430 need such an image file which can break the password. On your comment about nortel i agree with you , even I love working on cisco products but Nortel has some new routers which are efficient, and they do have products competent enough with cisco and some of them are more efficient and used at core layers ....but still I believe " cisco rocks" .If you need to get this file you need to raise a case with the TAC nortel team else some one else watching this space should help .......
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds