Skip to main content

curious about intelligent hub AUI port

More
16 years 6 months ago #23663 by arioc
I just got a few intelligent hubs from a garage sale a while ago. They are old (have 10Mbps Ethernet, but also have 10Base2 connections), but they also have an interface port (labeled) as AUI ports, which are DB-15 connections.
ConfusedI tried salvaging the cable from an old gamepad, but the gamepad only used 6 wires, and I honestly cannot find a good pinout/translation for how to interface with the hub.
I am pretty sure it is supposed to be managed somehow... Or am I wrong, and it is just another way to connect to another hub?
If there is a way to connect a serial 9-pin to a db-15 connector and get it to talk, (or a pinout or something), i would be interested. (I already tried the pinouts.ru and some other sites, and the best they could give me were rj-45 pinouts or db-15 or da-9 pinouts, but no 9 to 15 pinouts.
More
16 years 6 months ago #23673 by TheBishop
AUI is short for Attachment Unit Interface and comes from the dark days of early Ethernet. Basically back then the bit that actually connected to the physical coaxial cable (the attachment unit) and the transciever/NIC were often physically separate devices and the way to connect the one to the other was via an AUI cable. The interface is specific to the Ethernet standard, it isn't a serial port in any usable sense of the word. You can however still get hold of transcievers and media converters that present AUI and if you can get one of those and plug it into your AUI port you'll have another usable device. Oh, and the AUI port will only ever run at 10Mb/s.
Hope that helps
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds