Skip to main content

Data Protection

More
17 years 9 months ago #15743 by FallenZer0
Data Protection was created by FallenZer0
Hello All,

Desktop computers are typically shared among employees. Let's say I delete one of my own file. My question is, what is stopping another user of the same computer to use some kind of disk editor tools to browse the hard disk and see the data?

Is there any kind of protection mechanisms built-into Operating Systems that would prevent users from seeing data that another user has deleted?

FallenZer0

-There Is A Foolish Corner In The Brain Of The Wisest Man- Aristotle
More
17 years 9 months ago #15745 by nske
Replied by nske on topic Re: Data Protection
Well, if you can't guarantee the physical isolation of the machine, the only real way to protect the confidentiality of your data is by using encryption.

In *nix there are plenty of tools that allow good, transparent implementation of encryption. I am using Cryptsetup with LUKS .

Freebsd also provides similar functionality through gbde and OpenBSD likewise, with the help of vnconfig . Windows.. I don't know, but they should have something too!
More
17 years 9 months ago #15747 by Alans
Replied by Alans on topic Re: Data Protection
Hi, there is a program from Norton: Symantec Norton SystemWorks have the function of removing your files for ever so that no one can restore it by using any software.

always Face your Fears...
More
17 years 9 months ago #15753 by nske
Replied by nske on topic Re: Data Protection
If the concern is only about erasing data once and for good, there are many tools available, free too

Here's a few of them that work on windows:
- eraser
- SDelete
- Secure Delete

FallenZer0, if you want something built-in, perhaps the file encryption feature offered in windows will do the work (as long as each user uses a seperate account).
More
17 years 9 months ago #15757 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic data removal from HDD
hi
certain softwares like ewido malware removal tool also provides with data removal options to varying degree. i use ewido to remove critical files from my hard drives, and i have tested the efficiency, it is quite useful. try the latest shareware version of ewido, it will let you use the removal tools from its menu

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
More
17 years 9 months ago #15760 by FallenZer0
Replied by FallenZer0 on topic Re: Data Protection
Hello All,

Thanks for your input.

-There Is A Foolish Corner In The Brain Of The Wisest Man- Aristotle
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds