Skip to main content

SATA Drive Problem

More
19 years 2 weeks ago #8150 by ZiPPy
SATA Drive Problem was created by ZiPPy
Hey guys!! Well it finally happened, my main box crashed and had to replace the hd.
I picked up a Western Digital 200gig SATA drive along with an Adaptec 2 port SATA card. I booted up the machine after I installed the card and hd but the hd was not recognized but under the Adaptec options it was. I tried installing XP and surprisingly I was able to do so. I even was able to format the hd.
My concern is that when I boot up it still says the Primary Drive: NONE and that worries me. Also I wanted to put my W2K slave drive back on the XP box. I am sure this will work because I threw it in another XP box I have and it recognized it with no problem.
Any ideas of how I should go about this little problem of mine?

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
More
19 years 2 weeks ago #8152 by ZiPPy
Replied by ZiPPy on topic Re: SATA Drive Problem
I wanted to add a theory if you will about having the SATA PCI card installed. PCI is not a dedicated bus and its only 32-bit, so adding that SATA PCI card wouldn't that create a huge bottleneck for the hard drives connected to it? If anything I would think it runs just as fast as IDE or possibly slower. Since PCI shares among other PCI cards its already a pretty clogged bus. If I am wrong in any way about this so called theory let me know.

My next option is to upgrade my motherboard that has built in SATA connectors. Now another problem is I want to take advantage of this upgrade and do the processor too!!! :lol: Figures!! I tell you this puter stuff is addicting.

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
More
19 years 2 weeks ago #8155 by Cool_Spot
Replied by Cool_Spot on topic Re: SATA Drive Problem
Normally with SATA Drives you have to hit F6 during the XP Setup to install the drivers for the disk from a floppy.. I've found they wont be detected otherwise! Like loading an O/S from a SCSI device...
More
19 years 1 week ago #8174 by glacier
Replied by glacier on topic Re: SATA Drive Problem
The primary hard drive your bios picks up is usually the primary IDE drive. You need a Raid or SCSI utility to monitor the hard drive in an array and or single drive.
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds