Skip to main content

Trouble in XP

More
19 years 4 months ago #6514 by tsunami
Trouble in XP was created by tsunami
Hello Everyone!

Theres a serious trouble in my XP. i am running xp with SP1. whenever i minimize, the programs disappear. when i want to restore, i have to use the task manager.

any help ?

thanks in advance
More
19 years 4 months ago #6525 by Backspace
Replied by Backspace on topic Re: Trouble in XP
Make sure the task bar isn't locked (right click on the task bar to find out) and then make sure you haven't inadvertantly set a "quick launch" toolbar to take up the whole taskbar which might hide your running apps.
More
19 years 4 months ago #6527 by tsunami
Replied by tsunami on topic Re: Trouble in XP
Thanks Backspace!

The problem actually was more serious. The RPC service in my OS
was refusing to start.
Because of this the cut and paste option, the minimize option every option to say was out of action.
More
19 years 4 months ago #6543 by jhun
Replied by jhun on topic Re: Trouble in XP
try to patch your system with microsoft updates..it might just work.
More
19 years 3 months ago #6558 by sLz
Replied by sLz on topic Re: Trouble in XP
Ensure you've not denied access to read and write access to critical directories to the Network Service account, SP1 and SP2 automatically set the account to start the RPC service under to Network Service, so you would encounter this problem straight after an upgrade to 1 of the serivce packs, in your case SP1.

You may issue the command in command prompt under your current environment for a more verbose output such as Access denied, which if it is then refer to my earlier comment up there *points*.

net start "Remote Procedure Call (RPC)"

Exactly like so. If I issue that command it returns:

'The requested service has already been started.'

Which is good I'd say =]
More
19 years 3 months ago #6570 by DeathCode-r
Replied by DeathCode-r on topic Re: Trouble in XP
--RPC is started under Local System Account. If you are still unable to start the RPC service, edit the registry

\HKEY_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\RpcSs and under Name *Start* edit the Data and set it to 0x00000002(2) and Type REG_DWORD.
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds