Skip to main content

Server 2K3 Drive Letter

More
19 years 4 months ago #6316 by allanigue03
Hi Everyone,

Hope you can help me this one, would it be possible to have a server that has it root drive is not letter "C"

ex: s:\

TY
Aries
More
19 years 4 months ago #6327 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: Server 2K3 Drive Letter
I think natively Windows setup wouldn't let you format like that.. but you could use Partition Magic or something like that to manage it I suppose..

eh.. did someone say /dev/hda1 ;)

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
19 years 4 months ago #6340 by sLz
Replied by sLz on topic Re: Server 2K3 Drive Letter
Never tried this to be perfectly honest with you, however you could try firing up 'diskmgmt.msc' from the run dialog, right click on a drive and selecting Change drive letter. As I say, never done it on boot devices.
More
19 years 4 months ago #6341 by jhun
Replied by jhun on topic Re: Server 2K3 Drive Letter
hi

sadly, the disk management snap in can not change the drive letter of the root drive, and sahir is right in saying that Windows Setup does not allow it, even if you partitioned a drive to have say an S drive, during the course of the Windows setup it would revert it back to a logical drive consecutive to the previous one.
More
19 years 4 months ago #6343 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: Server 2K3 Drive Letter
Hahahahahaha this is damn funny,
I asked a guy here to do some R&D on the topic, he changed the drive letter in the registry.. and now we're desperately trying to get Windows to find S: and boot ;)

Don't try this at home kids.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
19 years 4 months ago #6346 by Cool_Spot
Why change the drive letter?

If its because of an application, you could always create a batch file to create a virtual drive letter

cd \
subst S: d:\Xmas-Elf

<<Where D:\Xmas-Elf is converted to S:>>

Whether this works on the root, i'm not brave enough to try but partition magic 9 should do the trick, as Sahirh suggests.
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds