Skip to main content

Disk Quota - which file is whose ?

More
19 years 6 months ago #5703 by naddyboy
Hi All,

We have this recurring problem in our office, users exceed their quota on the file server and call support complaining they are not able to copy. They sometimes dont even remember where they've kept all their files. Is their a way to find out which folder/file belongs to which user on the file server ?

Microsoft tells me to use file ownership script tool (fileowners.pl) from the Windows 2000 Resource Kit but I dont find it fit to be a solution in my scenario.

any1 any suggs ??

thanx
Nadeem :)
More
19 years 6 months ago #5706 by FallenZer0

Hi All,

We have this recurring problem in our office, users exceed their quota on the file server and call support complaining they are not able to copy. They sometimes dont even remember where they've kept all their files. Is their a way to find out which folder/file belongs to which user on the file server ?

Microsoft tells me to use file ownership script tool (fileowners.pl) from the Windows 2000 Resource Kit but I dont find it fit to be a solution in my scenario.

any1 any suggs ??

thanx
Nadeem :)

--What kind of solution you provide when users exceed disk quota's? Do you increase the limit for the user? Do you ask the user to delete unnecessary files?

--Just a thought. . . . . . .Is it not possible to create Folders with User Names so they know where there files are?

-There Is A Foolish Corner In The Brain Of The Wisest Man- Aristotle
More
19 years 6 months ago #5714 by Chris
This is a problem here at my company aswell. Novell had a nice way dealing with these by automatically creating the user's home directory which was then mapped to the user's workstation once logged into the server.

I'll be looking into this issue aswell because I need to resolve it, but for now I can't suggest anything better to do.

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
19 years 6 months ago #5723 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Files
You've got to stand back and take a long, logical look at how you store data on the volume in question.
As Fallenzero suggests, one of the best ways is to give each user their own 'home' directory which gets mapped for them by the login script. Okay, so this could be considered inappropriate say where files have to be stored in a directory structure under which they are grouped by type or function instead. However even with such a structure, it ought to be possible to give each user multiple personal folders, one under each top-level folder. If you really can't impose any organisation on the structure of the file system because of the way your data is held then how do you actually make disk quotas work for you in the first place? Without a logical structure and clear responsibility for areas of storage I don't see what they really give you
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds