Tagged by.. Help Me

More
19 years 9 months ago #4591 by Bishop
Tagged by.. Help Me was created by Bishop
WINDOWS XP PRO
AMD 2800 CPU
BIOSTAR MOBO
512MB DDR RAM

I keep getting folders that I did not create on my hard drive. The names are named C:\drivers\YOU\ HAVE\ BEEN\ TAGGED\BY.\ SuperZiggy\ I can only get rid of them by taking a copy of deltree.com from an Win ME Computer and putting it on floppy disk and removing that way. :twisted:

My question is where do they come from and how do I keep them from coming back.

Any comment or advice is helpful.

Bishop

Bishop
More
19 years 9 months ago #4598 by drizzle
Replied by drizzle on topic Re: Tagged by.. Help Me
nnbnbFirst, make sure all your security patches are up to date. www.windowsupdate.com/ I would also recommend some Anti-virus software. AVG is a pretty good freebie. You should download and run Spybot and/or Adaware which are both available on CNET. If you're still having issues, check the following places:

- Start menu --> Startup (anything suspicious?)
- Start --> Run --> type "msconfig" --> go to the "Startup" tab --> Anything suspicious???

And you should be behind a firewall too (if your are not already)...

Hopes this helps... Cheers!
More
19 years 9 months ago #4613 by Bishop
Replied by Bishop on topic Re: Tagged by.. Help Me
Thanks for the comments but i have done all of those suggestions before this ever happend.

I am running

Anti-Vir
Spybot s&d
Adaware
Spysweeper

I have every patch available for XP pro.

Bishop
More
19 years 9 months ago #4614 by jhun
Replied by jhun on topic Re: Tagged by.. Help Me
hi

what do the folders contain?...aside from these folders making their way into your harddrive, have there been any alterations or abnormal activities happening in your system?

this may have been cause by a malicious code that is embedded within your system. if you have already done the preventive measures and still does not remedy the problem, i suggest that you back up your files and prepare for a reinstall...

but before that try looking within your registry, especially under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>>SOFTWARE>>MICROSOFT>>WINDOWS>>CURRENT VERSION>>RUN. look for anything that should not be running when you boot up your system. to make the changes you've made on the registry restart your system..

also be sure that everything in your system is up to date and i mean everything, from windows patches, AV definitions, and Spyware and Adware updates.

well i hope that this helps in someways and goodluck
More
19 years 9 months ago #4619 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: Tagged by.. Help Me
Did I forget to mention -- stop using Internet Explorer

www.mozilla.org/products/firefox

Cheers,

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds