Skip to main content

w2k3 Remote desktop connection

More
19 years 9 months ago #4589 by thompsg
Okay quick problem...
Backgroud information.. I Just built my w2k3 server. Its a DC for its own domain. The workstation is not part of the domain.

From my DC I can connect to the workstation with Remote desktop using the workstation name or IP.

From my workstation using the built in administrator account for the DC or the administrator for the domain I can't log onto the server. If I use the server name it can't find a serer with that name. If I use the Ip it says it can't connect to that server and lists a couple reasons. none really apply.

I'm not sure why this is. I have a feeling it may have something to do with DNS. Either that or a setting that I'm not aware of.

help if you can please.

Thanks
More
19 years 9 months ago #4596 by drizzle
One nice thing with w2k3 is that this is turned off by default. To turn it on, go to --> control panel --> system. Once your in the system properties, select the remote tab. There should be two check boxes, Remote Assistance and Remote Desktop. Select the Remote Desktop box and you should be good to go.

Any members of the Administrator group are given login rights.

Hope that helps!
More
19 years 9 months ago #4597 by drizzle
Also, if you can't hit the server by hostname, you probably have a DNS issue. But, try the above using the ip address and see if that at least solves the RDP problem...
More
19 years 9 months ago #4600 by thompsg
I Joined the WS to the Domain and created an A record and a PTR record in DNS and now everything seems to work fine...
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds