Skip to main content

windows installing client for microsoft network problem

More
19 years 10 months ago #4136 by SmartDude
Hello all,
I m facing problem of installing " client for microsoft networks" on windows XP. I m in network, from windows 98 machine i can access win xp, but from win xp i can't access win 98 shares. I tried to install client for microsoft networks to start the workstation service. But when i try to do that it gives error saying " COULD NOT ADD THE REQUESTED COMPONENT. THE ERROR IS: ACCESS DENIED" Though i have administrative privilidges Plz reply ASAP.

Share the Knowledge, make a master being a Master...
Best Regards,
SmartDude
More
19 years 10 months ago #4146 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Client problem
If you can see the shares on the XP machine from the 98 machine then networking on the XP machine must be working okay. So you shouldn't need to load anything on there. Are they in the same workgroup? Try putting the details of the machines into the hosts and lmhosts files on both machines. And check that you have the correct local users and permissions set up on both
More
19 years 10 months ago #4148 by SmartDude
Thanks TheBishop,
FOr ur prompt reply, yes i can browse XP machine from win 98 machine. N i failed to browse win 98 from XP. In network neighborhood of win xp machine, its only showing webclient n terminal services. I think the problem is with "client for microsoft networks" since workstation service cannot' be started with out client for microsoft networks . N i get error message as i posted before when i try to do that. I think with permissions also everthing is fine. Just want to install client for microsoft networks. Hope to receive reply ASAP.

Share the Knowledge, make a master being a Master...
Best Regards,
SmartDude
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds