Skip to main content

print spooler crashes every day at 5:08 pm...

More
12 years 5 months ago #37603 by saidfrh
The sprint spooler on win 2008 terminal server crashes at 5:08 every day. Any suggestions on trouble shooting would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Said
More
12 years 5 months ago #37611 by TheBishop
If it really happens every day at 5:08 my first question wouild be "what else happens at 5:08?"
Is there a particular report or print job that runs? Does a batch job kick in? A backup? Lots of users logging on or off? Does the cleaner plug in their vacuum cleaner? Sometimes you may have to step back, look around and think a little but ultimately every problem has a logical cause
More
12 years 5 months ago #37613 by saidfrh
Yes, every day at 5:08 pm the print spooler on the terminal server crashes. We have been told "around" 5 pm. A Google article mentioned to do debugging. I am not familiar with debugging. Would debugging work? The log files show the printers crashing. at the time. Removing and re-installing the drivers may be a solution.
More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #37622 by S0lo
saidfrh, It might help if you try to answer TheBishop's questions, specifically if a batch or scheduled print job is running every day at that time. (you could check the Task scheduler)

Another thing, is it actually working? does it print every time your try?

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by S0lo.
More
11 years 9 months ago #38082 by RedRanger
Troubleshooting this problem could be a bear. I believe Microsoft made a piece of software that would show what was dependent on certain services. You may want to invest a little time into researching this.

Does the print spooler restart automatically after failure? A work around if it does not right now would be to have a batch job restart the service a minute after it fails.

RedRanger

"I'd Rather You Hate Me For Everything I Am Than Love Me For Something I'm Not."

Be Awesome
More
11 years 8 months ago #38086 by Nevins
Here is how I would attack this issue:

First get the model/SN# and google " XModel Crashes every day "

(it may be a known issue with that device)

Second if no luck is found there at 5:06 you can disable nodes not in use.
(note you don't have to physically do this you can just do disable the connection to that specific printer for a short time by changing the printer IP in print options)

Unless someone is printing right that second it shouldn't matter and it's pretty easy to revert the change once you're done. Also you don't have to take your network down to do this.

If this doesn't work you can try putting a cisco switch by the printer and monitor the incomming traffic at the time leading upto the crash with wireshark. At which point you can set up port security with mac filtering to find the cluprit.

Useful Threads
================================
www.firewall.cx/forum/2-basic-concepts/3...e-resource-page.html
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds