Skip to main content

Robocopy copy speeds

More
13 years 9 months ago #34993 by skepticals
I have servers connected with Gig Ethernet and copied data for almost 39 hours. The end result was 139 Megabytes/Min. The data was a ton of small files so I think the processing of ACLs, permissions, etc takes longer than large files.

Does anyone recall how fast their data transfers?
More
13 years 9 months ago #34994 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Re: Robocopy copy speeds
I did some tests a year or so ago by copying big files off DVDs across our Gigabit network and noticed we only got full network throughput for the first 20 seconds or so. After this initial surge it tailed off to a slower rate as the servers were then working directly to/from disk - I think the initial surge was until the disk caches became overwhelmed
More
13 years 9 months ago #35002 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Re: Robocopy copy speeds
Sounds about right guys - the main issue as mentioned are the small files that increase the disk response and delay dramatically.

Theoretically you should be able to obtain speeds of 120MB/sec on a 1 Gigabit link, however in most cases the hdd subsystem is the bottleneck.

Taking the 139Mb/min Skepticals obtain, you must have had an incredible large amount of small files;

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
13 years 9 months ago #35005 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: Robocopy copy speeds
skepticals, 139 MB/min is rather slow for GigaBit Ethernet as Chris noted.

What happens when you transfer a single very large file? if it is much faster, then the problem is probably related to the overhead of the "many small files" as you menssioned, specially if you have so many folders/subfolders there, as the creation of folders at the destnation takes allot of time.

By the way, FTP sucks for the same reason too. I usually zip/transfer/unzip when having so many files and folders.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
13 years 9 months ago #35032 by skepticals
Replied by skepticals on topic Re: Robocopy copy speeds
The speed ranged from 139-300. The copies ran for days. There were tons of files!

I had to move 3TB of data. Most of which were small PDR/Word style files.
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds