Skip to main content

Windows 2000 DDNS & DHCP Services

More
20 years 1 week ago #3438 by Chris
I've been dealing with a problem for a few days now and haven't managed to find the solution, so I'm posting it here, hoping that someone might have dealt with it before and therefore throw some light towards this way!

I've got a Windows 2000 server with Active Directory with DNS and DHCP services running. I have configured a new domain (zone) on the DNS server (non-active directory) called alumil.cx and configured it to support Dynamic Updates (DDNS). At the same time, the DHCP server running has been setup to register it's leases to the DNS server running for the domain alumil.cx.

My test client which received its dynamic IP from the dhcp server cannot or will not register its FQDN to the dns server mentioned above. The client is a windows XP pro. workstation, that has not joined the domain - to the user simply logs onto the workstation its self. All appropriate DNS settings are set on this client in order to ensure the DNS records are updated, but to no avail.

I've tried ipconfig /registerdns , no go. The domain passed by the DHCP server is alumil.cx, so the client should append its hostname infront, and register it to the DNS server which I am using.

In addition, I've doublechecked that the DNS server is authoritative for the domain by asking it via nslookup for the SOA.

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas... I'm all ears!!!

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
20 years 1 week ago #3440 by sahirh
Could it be something to do with appending the DNS suffixes in the TCP/IP properties ? I fuzzily remember where I used to work we have DynDNS and they always put in some DNS suffixes.. its in teh advanced DNS properties tab of TCP/IP, though you must have seen it cuz its just above the 'register this connection in DNS' checkbox.

Are other machines that are in the domain registering their address ?

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 1 week ago #3445 by Chris
I've already checked that part Sahir. I actually went through nearly all support documents Microsoft has, but was unable to get it working.

The odd thing is that neither event viewer on the server or client machine has logged an error to help me identifty the reason this is not working.

I'm not sure if the fact the client has not joined the domain could be the reason this is not working. I'll be trying this today and post my findings. It is however a very interesting problem.

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
20 years 1 week ago #3448 by sahirh
I have a feeling it might be because its not part of the domain.

Otherwise go by my favourite motto -- When in doubt, sniff !

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds