Skip to main content

Win2k3 Routing Woes

More
20 years 1 week ago #3405 by jackeen
Win2k3 Routing Woes was created by jackeen
I have a server running win2k3, with AD / DNS & DHCP installed.
It has 3 nics installed...

1) Normal 10/100 nic / 192.168.0.1

2) Gigabit nic / 192.168.0.2

3) Dvb nic / 192.168.238.238

( all have subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 )

I have the server connected directly into my main pc, which also has a gigabit nic & the normal 10/100 nic is connected to a 3com 8-port switch.

My problem is i cannot ping or see my main pc from a device connected via the switch. There just seems to be no routing there.
I have used the win2k3 feature of "bridging" the 2 connections into one ip & this works fine, but would like it set-up with two seperate ip's for the nics.

Dhcp works fine for all devices connected either directly ( main pc ) or via the switch, so i think it's just not routing properly.

( btw, i can't change the ip of the dvb nic, it has to stay on 192.168.238.238 )

Many Thanks,
More
20 years 1 week ago #3407 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Re: Win2k3 Routing Woes
Jackeen,

I was trying to draw a diagram to get a better view of how the Pc's are interconnected to help me see your problem, but I failed !

Are you able to draw us a diagram of the setup, noting each network card and its IP, clearly showing how they connect to the switch and your workstation?

If you can't do it with ASCII characters or can't place it online somewhere so you can link to it from here, send it to me and Ill place it on the site.

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
20 years 1 week ago #3410 by Dudbolt
Replied by Dudbolt on topic Win2k3 Routing Woes
I did start writing a reply with the thought that it was because you were directly connected to the server via you PC [ crossover cable]. But then i re-read your post! So, the cards are working ok? You can ping them both? DHCP requests are working OK? Yes, i would say there has to be a routing problem. Just be sure and check the card settings so that they both use the same dns server, gatewat etc. I've been caught out before that way.

Garrett
[greeting from the north of ireland!]
More
20 years 1 week ago #3416 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: Win2k3 Routing Woes
One sec, I'm confused, where does the routing come into it, and which machine can't see which other machine ? If you're getting DHCP responses that means it is not likely to be a routing problem since your router is doing dhcp-relay... other than ping is there any other connectivity ? Maybe you've got ICMP blocked somewhere... personal firewall, or on the router or something similar ?

Diagram would be helpful.. we accept Visio, Kvio and ASCII art versions ;)

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds