Skip to main content

Need Urgent help

More
14 years 3 months ago #33309 by ashish_aec
Need Urgent help was created by ashish_aec
Hi All,

Good Morning Firewall Members,

I have logged into this website after 2 years (with a new login now :lol: ), and amazed to see great and positive development that has happened over the period. Chris, his team and other members have been gr8 help whenever required.
Friends I am in need of help as I need to move on to a new assignment of handling Datacenter operations and I am a Novice to Microsoft Technologies.
Need some help in getting information on the Online study material viz. ebooks etc on Windows server 2003, 2008, exchange..also
reference to some good simulation websites which can provide better learning experience..

Hoping to See Response Soon.. :roll:
More
14 years 3 months ago #33317 by Alans
Replied by Alans on topic Re: Need Urgent help
I recommend using a virtual machine (like VMware, Virtual Box ..)
Then install windows servers and MS products like Exchange and AD and start working on it..
Try install services, do backups, restore, uninstall services and do all tasks related to real world projects..
Note that using virtual machines require more memory to work smoothly.
Good luck.

always Face your Fears...
More
14 years 3 months ago #33328 by floppyraid
Replied by floppyraid on topic yeah
i like Alans idea.

if you could set yourself up a test lab that was to mimic as closely as possible the live network, you would be better prepared to handle the real thing-

but dont make the fatal mistake of assuming that just because something worked on your test network that its going to work on the live network. no matter how closely you mimic the live network it will never be a complete clone of it, and therefore it would be a tragic mistake to make a habit of assuming that just because something worked on the test rig that its going to work right on the live network.

in my (not incredibly extensive) real life experience with windows based networks, there is always room for several "what in the world is going on here?" moments. windows networks dont always go 'by the book'. in many cases, things that shouldnt be working are, and things that should be working do not.

at least, that was my experience with a 2000 SBS based domain, and somewhat still is in a 2003 based domain to a lesser degree. 2000 SBS behaves very erratically, but 2003 has been much more stable. 2k8 is probably much more reliable. some things are quirky in 2003 domains, like adding Vista clients to the domain- domain wide group policies from the 2003 server can become discombobulated by nonplussed vista clients, etc.

i can give you one quick hint about exchange though. dont delete log files to free up space on the drive. ever. you have to use an "exchange/nt aware" backup program (like the default msbackup), after making a backup it 'removes' the logs itself after it has taken their contents and made them a part of the new backup.

anyway. yeah im rambling now.
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds