Skip to main content

Roaming profiles issue

More
14 years 4 months ago #32934 by beexo
Roaming profiles issue was created by beexo
HI,
I have a 2003 Srv setup with roaming profiles.
When a user is created (based on a template) it is assigned the path to the roaming profile folder.
Most user have been created this way and the roaming profiles have always worked without any further intervention.
I recentry created a new user using the same template and for some reason his roaming profile is not working.
Ichecke the path and it is OK. But when I look in the "Profile" folder this user is not there.
On the workstation he gets an error on login saying that it cannot load the profile. But on logout, there is no error.
What I am looking from you is ideas on how to approach the diagnostics and resolution to the problem. I mean, What steps would you take?
More
14 years 4 months ago #32948 by NeoTech
Replied by NeoTech on topic Re: Roaming profiles issue
I'd be interested in hearing the answer to this too.

I'm currently working with a non profit community organisation who are having trouble with their PCs. They have a windows server 2003 small business server and 4 PC systems (well 3 now as one died due to corrosion on a certain part of the motherboard which appears to be common to the particular Dell model they have once they are a certain age).
I found 37 trojans and god knows how much malware on a single one of the computers.

After cleaning them all, which took me 3 full day visits they were running so slow (pentium 4's which haven't been looked by anyone with an ounce of professional knowledge in 3 years) the viruses appear to be coming back from somewhere. Ironically the server survived a virus scan without a single detection.

Ontop of this, I cannot get intouch with them when I need to and they are the most unprofessional people I have ever worked with, lol. I leave messages for them to get back to me and end up calling them myself to see what's going on over a week later. The best thing I can do now so close to Xmas is to have them back up everything they need and then go back once they have done so and wipe all of the systems, reinstalling the OS and setting the network up myself again.

They have also mentioned problems with the files on some profiles dissapearing? I dont know if this could be a similar problem as the poster's which is kinda why I'm posing this here and not in another thread. But it wouldn't suprise me if they were saving them then logging back in on a different profile or saving them on a shared server drive and looking for them on the local system.

I will need to spend some time with server 2003 before then as I dont know it too well. I've done Cisco's CCNA course so my networking knowledge at this level is pretty solid, It's just the server OS im not too familiar with. I'm now also an MCP but only for desktop support at the moment. I have the microsoft book (70-291) and will be installing a trial of server 2003 on one of my home systems. I could use any advice you guys have with this matter. I'm starting to truely understand why so many people I know say that the biggest threat to any network or computer system is USERS!

Thanks in advance!

P.s. Sorry to butt in on another guys thread. Call this a 'what an interesting problem' comment and ask me to post elsewhere if need be, lol.

Neo
Tech
More
14 years 4 months ago #32950 by SteveP
Replied by SteveP on topic Re: Roaming profiles issue
@beexo: check if there are any local profiles on the client(s) which can cause conflicts. They can be deleted using delprof.exe or there are many .vbs scripts that can do the job for you.

Another thing to consider is if you've used offline files which will, of course, result in files being cached locally.

Feedback your progress as I'm interested too!
More
14 years 4 months ago #32972 by KiLLaBeE
Replied by KiLLaBeE on topic Re: Roaming profiles issue
If that user logs into a different PC, is the profile created there?
More
14 years 4 months ago #33071 by beexo
Replied by beexo on topic Re: Roaming profiles issue
Here´s what I have at the moment.

The users for which the profiles are working, they are set to roamong and I have the "copy " and "change" active.

The users for which te profiles are not working, they are set to local, and the "copy " and "change" and not active. So, even if I want to copy the profile to the server manualy, I can't.

The local profiles are created on each computer the user logs in to. But on none is it able to create the profile on the server.

How would I now if a profile is creating some conflict? Why do most user profiles work?

By the way, the clients are WinXP w/ sp3.
More
14 years 4 months ago #33081 by KiLLaBeE
Replied by KiLLaBeE on topic Re: Roaming profiles issue

The users for which the profiles are working, they are set to roamong and I have the "copy " and "change" active.

The users for which te profiles are not working, they are set to local, and the "copy " and "change" and not active.

What exactly do you mean by this? What do you mean by "they are set to local"? What's "they"? You also said "and the 'copy' and 'change' and not active." What's "the"? I'm basically trying to figure out what you're referencing here or where you're looking. I've looked at the User Profiles window that's accessible from System Properties and an actual user account and don't see those options. Are you looking at folder permissions?

Being that the profiles aren't being created on the share on the server, I recommend checking the permissions on the share. If necessary, give the Domain Users group Modify permissions to the share for the time being, that way any user account (including those just created) will be able to create folders in that share (including a folder for their profile) when they log into a computer and AD automatically creates a profile for them because of their roaming profile config. I know you said that you used an existing template account, but if that's the case, then the problem isn't with the template account, but with something else in the environment.

After you try this out, report back the results and we'll proceed with further troubleshooting
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds