Skip to main content

the computer has rebooted from a bugcheck win2k pro

More
20 years 1 month ago #3120 by Kn1ght
man I do love this website :) you guys are awesome.

I'm glad that you finally found out that it is windows 2k pro :P

Well we were having this problem and no there was no blue screen of death. This was happening up to two times a day to this poor end user. THen I completely reformated the hard drive, re-installed everything, and it was clean for about 2 weeks, it has just started up again....

yes it is on a domain, there are no scripts involved. This has been happening for a good 2 years just got worse and my boss (senior network admin) finally saw it happen. Didn't really believe her and the end user "doesn't like to complain" anyway he made the project mine and I'm at a stand still. I downloaded the debugger for windows, and tried looking through the mini dump file they have left... alas I cannot make sense of this stuff at all! We cannot afford to spend 20 hours to get this computer working and not have her be working. I can't do too much trial and error, hence the problem. *sighs* alas....

kn1ght once again the confused.

Thanks
More
20 years 1 month ago #3123 by MaXiMuS
hey knight , have u installed the latest service pack ??

if yes , kindly remove it coz i read somewhere that the latest service pack ( 4 i suppose !!) is giving lot of problems :lol:
More
20 years 1 month ago #3127 by sahirh
Its been happening for two years ? chances are it isn't the latest SP then.

If this is not a mission critical machine, why not just give it the wipe and start over ? At least that way if it happens again on a clean install you can isolate it to being a hardware problem.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 1 month ago #3133 by Kn1ght
Already did a full re-install/format :(

My boss says that I need to get into the minidump .dmp file with windows debugger but i'm not getting it to work right I don't think. I have 3 .dmp files and each one says it rebooted from different problems.....
Wierd

Kn1ght

Thanks
More
20 years 1 month ago #3141 by sahirh
I've never had the pleasure of looking through Windows minidump files.. I assume it dumps the stack and the registers, but what else.. and how are you supposed to understand that data unless you know exactly what the program was doing at the time.

Sounds to me like you have a hardware problem if you've already wiped the disk once before..

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 1 month ago #3168 by Kn1ght
belive me bud you aren't missing much. I wouldn't quite use the words "pleasure"

You are correct that is what it looks at, stacks exc. It told me a few times that there is an IRQ conflict which I didn't even think about, I haven't had too much trouble w/ IRQ conflicts unless I was back in 3.11 days :) (anyone else have any great times with IRQ conflicts back with 3.11?!?!?) on the modem, we have a t1 line so I just ripped the modem out.... turned the onboard soundcard off in the bios... Hope that does it <grins>

Thanks
Kn1ght the confused.

Thanks
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds