Skip to main content

ISP sec in window2000

More
20 years 1 month ago #2874 by babarali
Hi....
i want to know in detail about IPsec in window2000....how it works and how to configure..and what benefits do i get frm it.

also i have another question that is

can i get remote system mac address... with any dos command

like by writting ipconfig/all
we can get our system ip , mac and other information..
my question is can i get mac address of any remote system by knowing his ipaddress...or what.

waiting for ur reply...
More
20 years 1 month ago #2877 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: ISP sec in window2000
IPSec is a network level encryption system that allows you to encrypt any IP traffic on the fly. Its sort of like SSL but much better because it works at the network layer there is no need for you to modify any applications to use it.. anything that can talk over IP can talk over IPSec. This is a big benefit over SSL which requires the application to speak SSL or be enclosed in some sort of wrapper.

The good part about IPSec is that you can very easily establish encrypted communications between two points, such as for a VPN or other remote access solution. The disadvantage is that it requires more processing and generates a little bit more network traffic than a standard IP setup.

I wont get into configuration details, but here are some places with all the information
labmice.techtarget.com/networking/ipsec.htm
www.microsoft.com/windows2000/technologi...ns/ipsec/default.asp

There is a simple way to get the MAC address of any machine on your subnet.. simply ping the machine and then run the command
arp -a
at a DOS prompt. This will show you your system's internal MAC address - IP address table and will list the MAC address of any machine you've recently been talking to. Remember that this will only work on your subnet... since once you leave the subnet, the MAC address becomes quite irrelevant.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds