Skip to main content

Need to map drives while user logged off

More
20 years 2 months ago #2823 by jacko0
Hi, I am using win2000 on a domain. I have an application which is now running as a service. But the service needs to access 2 network drives.

I want to be able to have the pc logged off but the service able to access 2 network drives, how can i do it?

At the moment the user is logged on and the drives are mapped.

Thanks for any help

Jacko
More
20 years 2 months ago #2825 by sahirh
Hmm the idea of services is that they run when no user is logged on as well.. but to map the network drive you'd need a user to log on and give credentials, you can set the service to have its own set of credentials..

1. Open the services MMC (a quick shortcut is to click start >> run >> type 'services.msc' )
2. Open the properties for your service
3. Click the 'log on' tab
4. Change from 'Local System Account' to 'This Account'
5. Give it the account you want it to log on as

Now it should work even if no user is logged in locally. It will use the credentials of the account you setup. However I dont think you'll be able to use the mapped drives, you'll have to provide the path \\server\sharename or whatever.

Lemme know if that helps.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 1 month ago #2908 by jacko0
:D

It works!!

Thanks for the help

I changed all the drive mapping's to UNC paths and changed the service to run as the user not the system account, just like you said

Jacko
More
20 years 1 month ago #2909 by sahirh
Hehe glad I could help.. they say I answer questions well on full moon nights.. this has nothing to do with my being bitten by a wolf when I was 12..

Cheers mate,

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds