Skip to main content

Backup System

More
16 years 4 months ago #24625 by phedskie
Backup System was created by phedskie
Hi Guro,

please help me design a good backup system.here the synario.
i want to backup the AD and Exchange data in my SBS2003 server std. and the data of SQL 2005 installed in server 2003 std. what i want is to have a new server (Backup server) that will pull all those data from the 2 server. then backup it to the hard disk of the backup server and make a copy on the tape.

please help me.

thanks in advance.
More
16 years 4 months ago #24627 by DaLight
Replied by DaLight on topic Re: Backup System
If you want to backup MS Server apps like Exchange and SQL, you are better off using a Backup product that works specifically with these apps like Symantec (Veritas) Backup Exec. It can be installed on any server in your network and then install backup agents on any other servers you wish to backup up.

Backups can be targeted to the hard disk of your selected backup server, and a "Duplicate to tape" job can then be triggered to run after the main backup has been completed.
More
16 years 4 months ago #24669 by skepticals
Replied by skepticals on topic Re: Backup System
I have used Veritas in the past and really liked it. I have to use Galaxy Express now. We have a tape backup as well. The problem is the tape backup unit is directly connected to out Domain Controller. My thoughts were to backup the exchange server to the DC's hard drive and then it will be copied to tape when the DC runs its backup.

Does this seem like the best method?
More
16 years 4 months ago #24675 by DaLight
How many separate backups do you run?
More
16 years 4 months ago #24676 by skepticals
Replied by skepticals on topic Re: Backup System
I'm not sure who you were talking to, but I only run one backup each night on the DC; so I was just going to backup the Exchange to the DC and then have it run the backup. The exchange is only for less than 30 people.
More
16 years 4 months ago #24696 by DaLight
If you are using the same software for both backups, why can't you just backup them both to tape as part of the same backup run. If the backup software allows agents for other servers/machines, then it could run OK from the DC
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds