Skip to main content

Can not join the domain

More
16 years 7 months ago #23158 by ardeef
hello!
My pc can not join the domain. A message "the domain controller for the domain could not be contacted" displayed on the screen when i tried to join the domain.
My pc can ping the dns server and other pc, but the server and the other pc can not ping my pc.
I looked for the DNS client service of my pc thinking it was stopped but was running. My pc is configured with static ip address.

What might be wrong....Please help.Thank you.
More
16 years 7 months ago #23163 by TheBishop
Could be a number of things. A few to check are 1) is the subnet mask correct on all the machines concerned? 2) is the time correct on the PC (manually set it to be the same as the time on the domain controller then try again) 3) have you got the right DNS/WINS server address configured in your manual IP address settings? Try these first and tell us how you get on
More
16 years 7 months ago #23164 by Smurf
Replied by Smurf on topic Re: Can not join the domain
Also, have you got Windows Firewall on your machine ? This will be why you cannot ping your machine from the server so this will be a red herring in your fault diagnosis process.

I would try Bishops suggestions and then report back.

Cheers

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
16 years 7 months ago #23166 by jaiwardhan
If the DNS is in place then try disabling the firewall and then join it to the domain most of the times Firewall is the culprit
More
16 years 7 months ago #23170 by GTM
Replied by GTM on topic Re: Can not join the domain
I've had a few times where i couldnt get a machine onto the domain what i did was to change to computer onto a workgroup say test,reboot and then join it back onto the domain dont know why this works but it has helped me in the past.
More
16 years 7 months ago #23172 by Smurf
Replied by Smurf on topic Re: Can not join the domain
Just a totally random thing here. I have recently come across an issue of adding machines to a domain controller running ISA 2006. The issue here was with the RPC Application Filter in ISA blocking the RPC communications. In recent Windows Service Packs, they have changed the way RPC works which doesn't follow the standards set in the RPC filter.

Just incase you come across this :)

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds