Skip to main content

Tweaking Windows XP to run really fast

More
17 years 3 weeks ago #20799 by durk21
I don't trust

Do you?

Windows Auto Updates aren't that bad as long as you OK them first and know whats going on your machine.

but with all do respect VISTA BLOWS. I just wish Linux or Linus as it's actually pronounced was more compatible with everything. Because it ultimately does run smoother and faster generally. But then I'm stating the obvious.

But it would be nice if you actually explained how to turn all that stuff off and on for all of us none OS proficient geeks out there.

P.S Linux was named after it's French Creator that's why it is pronounced with an S sound not an X so say it LY-NUS like all the cool kids. :-)
More
17 years 3 weeks ago #20800 by durk21
Replied by durk21 on topic ummmmmmm
umm did you forget to mention that windows is gay and all it's programs are pretty much tied together so shutting down one does in fact affect most of the others?
More
17 years 3 weeks ago #20841 by Smurf
Replied by Smurf on topic Re: ummmmmmm

umm did you forget to mention that windows is gay and all it's programs are pretty much tied together so shutting down one does in fact affect most of the others?

Not since Windows XP now they have seperated the processing/memory space/etc....

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
17 years 3 weeks ago #20853 by durk21
actually even in XP a few of the programs are tied into each other via their libraries

Not since Windows XP now they have separated the processing/memory space/etc....

But having said that yes you are correct and they did fix most all of that but a lot of core programs still need minor ones to operate bc their codes pull from the other programs libraries.
More
17 years 3 weeks ago #20857 by Smurf
You are quite correct with the libraries however since the core Windows XP is isolated, if a process crashes, the kernal (running in Supervisor Mode) should still be able to run and shut down the single process, regardless of any DLL files that are in uses since the isolation of memory, processes, etc... will not affect the other operating processes.

That said, i have still had core crashes (not that many in the years i have been running xp) which has caused the whole system to crash. I think this is however when a fundemantel Windows XP componant fails, hence the whole of XP locks.

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
17 years 3 weeks ago #20868 by durk21

That said, i have still had core crashes (not that many in the years i have been running xp) which has caused the whole system to crash. I think this is however when a fundamental Windows XP component fails, hence the whole of XP locks.

Lucky Bastard lol. Mine crashes Every so often Both core crashes and the blue screen of death [MEMORY] but then I have more HDD space than windows can support at 500GB Since XP can't even support 120 GB so i think the boot sector of my HDD which adds a program to the bios forcing XP to boot may cause occasional conflicts with XP.

ive got 500 GB with 3GB of memory the new kind DDR i think is what its called

Yeah I'm not an OS guy I just know a little about programming from High School working with C, C++, and Visual C++.
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds